Jennifer Estep's Reviews > Against the Wind

3197948
Sep 12, 13

bookshelves: romantic-suspense, western
Read in January, 2011

Against the Wind by Kat Martin is the first book in her romantic suspense trilogy about the Raines brothers of Wind Canyon, Wyoming.

After Sarah Allen's abusive husband is murdered, she packs up their young daughter and leaves Los Angeles to head home to Wind Canyon, Wyoming. Sarah has rented a charming little cottage, not realizing that it's on the ranch of Jackson Raines, the boy that she spurned back in high school. Jackson finds himself still attracted to Sarah, despite their past history and the fact that she humiliated him, but he's determined not to get burned by her again. But when someone breaks into Sarah's cottage looking for information that her husband used in a blackmail scheme, Jackson vows to protect Sarah and her daughter no matter what ...

I'll admit it -- I picked up this book because of the cover, which I thought was absolutely gorgeous. Plus, I thought the plot sounded interesting. I like westerns, and I like romantic suspense -- it sounded like a winning combination to me.

However, I think I was expecting this book to be more of a true western than it was. Sure, much of the book is set in Wyoming, but Jackson and Sarah also go to Los Angeles to track down clues as to what kind of illegal activities Sarah's husband was really involved in. I think I would have enjoyed the story more if all the action had taken place in Wyoming. (Like I said, I'm a sucker for westerns.)

Jackson and Sarah are both likable characters, and it's nice to see Sarah slowly come to trust Jackson again after being abused by her murdered husband. I also thought Martin did a good job balancing the romance with the two suspense plots -- who killed Sarah's husband and what her husband was really up to. However, I would have liked to have seen a couple of scenes from the villains' points of view. I think that really would have ratcheted up the tension and danger for me, as well as made the suspense plots easier to follow and understand.

Overall, though, this was a decent read, especially if you like your romantic suspense with a bit of a western feel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Against the Wind.