Jennifer Estep's Reviews > The Sevenfold Spell

3197948
Dec 16, 10

bookshelves: paranormal-romance
Read in December, 2010

Full disclosure: Tia is one of my online friends. She runs the Debuts & Reviews blog and was nice enough to send me a copy of her e-book, The Sevenfold Spell.

After a kingdom-wise ban on spinning wheels in order to protect the princess from a vicious curse, Talia and her mother don't know how they're going to survive since spinning is all they know. To add insult to injury, the boy that Talia was supposed to marry is sent off by his father to become a monk. Talia considers herself to be rather plain, but she finally decides to enjoy what she can of her dreary life by taking a series of lovers. As the years pass, though, Talia once again finds herself in possession of a spinning wheel -- something that just might lead to her doom ...

I'm a sucker for fairy tale retellings, and this is a take on the old Sleeping Beauty story. Nevitt definitely puts her own spin on things, so to speak. (Sorry, I couldn't resist.) Talia is a likable character, and I really enjoyed how she decided to do what she wanted to with whomever she wanted to, despite the vicious town gossip and everyone looking down their noses at her. Talia's heart gets broken and her dreams get shattered, but she still soldiers on.

Talia definitely made the story for me. It was nice to see such a strong character, especially in a fairy tale. As much as I like fairy tales, let's face it -- most of the female characters in the traditional stories are only there to be kissed/rescued.

My only little quibble is that I would have liked a little more world-building -- specifically, I would have liked to have known more about the fairies and how their powers/curses worked. But this is a short e-book (not quite 100 pages), and I know there's not room for everything.

However, there's a lot of steam in this story, despite the short length. So if you like a little spice with your fairy tales, you should definitely check this one out.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sevenfold Spell.