Diane's Reviews > The Secret Life of Plants: A fascinating account of the physical, emotional, and spiritual relations between plants and man

The Secret Life of Plants by Peter Tompkins

F_50x66
Jan 18, 09

bookshelves: aborted-mission
Read in January, 2009

It is kind of hard to stomach. Not a science book. The claims that are made from the experimental evidence described here are in the realm of pseudoscience. They dont follow guidelines of science. I started it but I probably will not finish it. It has an annoying chauvanistic undertone which begins in the introduction, when a general statement is made about women liking to decorate their houses with plants. Then they have to point out when a person is a female, and then they talk about brine shrimp with a wink-wink suggestion that to know if brine shrimp are healthy, that is when the males try to mount the females. I dont know if it is true, but I have seen a number of brine shrimp, and I would like to know how they know which are males and which are females just by looking at them swim around. Sexism is annoying and helps to invalidate their claim to "science" as far as I am concerned.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret Life of Plants.