Melissa (i swim for oceans)'s Reviews > Class Collision: Fall from Grace

Class Collision by Annette Mackey

Dec 12, 2010

Read in December, 2010

Class Collision follows the story of David, born into a life of privilege, wealth, and notoriety – that is, until it’s all whisked away in an instant. David is kidnapped, held captive, then left for dead…but he doesn’t die. He survives and learns to live in his new life. It’s tedious, but it works. Then he meets Linda. Linda is gorgeous and precocious, thinks David is penniless, and for some reason, David is completely taken with her. Can the two find love in the uncertain times of the Great Depression, or will their collective secrets tear them apart before they truly connect?

I have a fascination with the time period of the Great Depression, so when I heard the setting of Class Collision, I was extremely excited to give it a go. Author, Annette Mackey has created a rich coming-of-age story that asks the age-old question – can money buy you happiness? Alive with detail and flowing prose, the story is filled to the brim with morals and values without ever feeling preachy or tedious. Rather, Class Collision lets love drive the plot of the story.

I’ll admit I didn’t know a thing about Class Collision when I first picked it up, but that didn’t hinder the story a single bit. David plays the likeable protagonist well, and we watch his transformation from a spoiled and arrogant child into a young man of integrity and grace. Linda’s transformation is slower and more defined, but every bit as poignant as David’s. Their journey to ultimate self-discovery of one another fuels the plot and value of Class Collision, breathing life into the story. There were a few spots that were a bit too descriptive for my taste, but overall, the balance between characters and plot was flawless. I also have to be nit-picky and say that the story far exceeds the cover.

I was definitely pleasantly surprised by just how beautiful Class Collision was. I give it a very strong 4.5 out of 5, and I am definitely going to read the sequel in the Fall From Grace series, called Phoenix Rising. I would recommend this to both a YA and adult audience, especially for those who enjoy coming-of-age stories, contemporary fiction, and historical fiction.

I received this book free of charge from the author in exchange for an honest review. This, in no way, affected my opinion or review of this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Class Collision.

TinaB I saw this one on your blog....it sounds really good!!

Melissa (i swim for oceans) I'm really enjoying it so far! My review goes up on Thursday :D