Michael's Reviews > Food Inc.: A Participant Guide: How Industrial Food is Making Us Sicker, Fatter, and Poorer-And What You Can Do About It

Food Inc. by Karl Weber

Dec 20, 10

bookshelves: green, nonfiction, where-it-all-went-wrong
Read from December 12 to 20, 2010

Food, Inc. is a written version of the film bearing the same name. This is my fourth or fifth book about our national (and international) food system, and quite frankly, they have all given me indigestion. I don't know where to begin. Let's start here: Americans are, increasingly, fat and sick. We are fat and sick for two main reasons: a lack of exercise, and the food that we eat. If the majority of people in this country had any idea just what it was that they were eating, we'd be a nation of bulimics instead of a nation of fat people with Type II diabetes and heart disease.

The problem isn't meat. The problem isn't corn. The problem isn't oil. The problem isn't the government. The problem isn't corporations. The problem is us. Every time you eat, you make a choice. Choose wisely, and educate yourself about where our 'food' comes from. It is horrifying. The good news is, you can opt out of this system today. The bad news is, you probably won't. I know that it's been difficult for me to change many years of bad eating habits. I've made some real progress, but I still have a long way to go.

If you are at all interested in what you eat, what your kids eat, where it all comes from, and what it actually costs other human beings, as well as our environment,to produce, read this book, or any of the other books I've listed below:

-The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan
-Stuffed and Starved by Raj Patel
-Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Food Inc..