Kari Anderson's Reviews > The Best Girl

The Best Girl by Emma Harrison

Jul 07, 11

Read from December 11 to 12, 2010

Farrah is finally feeling comfortable in her own skin. After a semester at college, she has come to terms with her wild red hair, comfy sweaters, book nerd mentality and getting used toher new alter ego,Jane. But all of that may be short lived. Her brother is getting married over Christmas break, to an heiress to a clothing company bigger than Abercrombie.

Farrah isn’t much into preppy, prissy girls and she’s afraid of losing her brother, who is her best friend. But when she meets Biff AKA Buffy AKA the bride’s sister, Farrah’s worries start to fade. She won’t be alone this week in wonderland. But then when she runs into her college crush, things get shaken up. He’s an employee at the resort she is staying. She lies about who she is and gets deeper into the character of Jane. But they all may be jeopardized on the big wedding day, when all of the employees are on duty at the big wedding, where Farrah is the best girl (like the best man, but for a girl).

For the first time in a long time, I fell in love with characters. I’ve run across a lot of immature YA characters lately and some of them have actually pushed me away from YA. I know that it’s my choice to be an adult and read YA and I know the books are geared towards younger people, but every now and then, in books like these, my love is restored. Farrah, Jane, whatever you want to call her is a character I’d like to get to know better and see what happens in her future. She grows up in kind of a hoity-toity family, with a mom who just wants her to be pretty and girly, like all the other girls. But I appreciate Farrah for being who she wants to be, even if that does put her in the nerdstrom category. She does take to the girly side for a hot second, but realizes that you don’t always have to be dolled up to get the guy.

I love that lesson in a YA book. In high school, and even college, looks are always so important. I’m not sayng Farrah isn’t pretty, but she’s naturally pretty. She doesn’t need to spend hours on her hair and makeup and clothes to be pretty. There need to be more YA girls like that.

I’ve read a lot of books lately that have made me want to pack my bags and take a trip. After Anna and the French Kiss, I was ready to go to Paris. After this, I don’t care where I go, as long as I can sit in a cabin, but the fire and drink cocoa and watch the snow and skiers. I’m doing just that today, watching the snow out the window of my house, and although my tree is blinking and sparkly, there just seems to be something magical about a ski resort.

I give The Best Girl 4 bookmarks. As much as I loved it, I hated that Farrah lied throughout the book. There were so many times I wanted her just to come clean, but she kept the lies going. LYING IS BAD!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Best Girl.