Deb Mj's Reviews > Fragile Beasts

Fragile Beasts by Tawni O'Dell

Jan 13, 14

Read from January 11 to 13, 2014

What an absolutely wonderful book. A pair of teenage brothers living in Western Pennsylvania's coal country, abandoned by their mother and living with their father, find themselves alone after their father's accident. Faced with having to move to Arizona with a mother who has already demonstrated that she wants nothing to do with them, they are eventually taken in by a wealthy elderly spinster whose heart is still captured by her past life in Spain and the love of her life, a matador gored to death during a bullfight. The book explores the developing relationship between the boys and the woman and her motley staff.

The characters are richly drawn, the dialogue is wonderful (especially Candace's comments to the boys' mother), and the book elicits wonderful emotions on all sides of the spectrum. There are references to bullfighting, so if you're offended by that practice, you may take issue with those portions of the book.

I loved it and would wholeheartedly recommend it. I'll definitely seek out more of the author's work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fragile Beasts.

01/11 marked as: currently-reading
01/13 marked as: read

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily (new) - added it

Emily Deb - thanks for the review. This sounds wonderful and has been added to my ever-growing "to-read" list.

message 2: by Deb (new) - rated it 5 stars

Deb Mj Em, if you can get past the author's name, which made me think she had given us a Harlequin romance, I think you'll love it. I wa shocked at how much I enjoyed it. Enjoy!

message 3: by Emily (new) - added it

Emily Deb - did you notice that she is a Goodreads author? I checked out her page. I follow a few of the authors that I like, it is interesting to see what they are reading. You might want to start check out her page.

message 4: by Barbara (new) - added it

Barbara Shelton Tawni is a new author to me and I like her story idea. Deb's review sold me on entering the giveaway. Thank you Goodreads for the giveaway and the opportunity to win this great book. I hope I win!

Blessings,
Barb Shelton
barbjan10@tx.rr.com

message 5: by Deb (new) - rated it 5 stars

Deb Mj Gave this to a friend for Christmas and it has prompted me to read it again. Hoping I love it as much this time around.