J's Reviews > The Warlord of Mars

The Warlord of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs

Feb 22, 11

bookshelves: novels
Read in February, 2011

I’m going to continue to read Burroughs’ Tarzan and John Carter books as time permits but, having just read Warlord Of Mars, I gotta’ say, Burroughs was kind of a lazy writer. The action is just sort of one event after the other; the narrative flow is a little jerky. Like how sometimes John Carter’s amazing strength knows no bounds while at others it’s just not enough. Or near the end, when Carter climbs into Thurid’s flyer and suddenly has a dagger. In that case, one could assume he picked it up and it just wasn’t mentioned in the story. He was, after all, just in an armory, freeing his pals. But, still.

I realize this was written in the first six years of Burroughs’ writing career and that his stuff may get better. I don’t remember if it does. Don’t get me wrong; I’ve enjoyed revisiting these novels after decades. They’re fun to read and the silliness of the plot, dialogue and continuity can add to the fun. Sometimes, though, it’s a little laborious.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Warlord of Mars.