Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews's Reviews > Last Breath

Read from February 05 to 07, 2012

*Rating* 4.0
*Genre* YA Paranormal/Urban Fantasy

*Review* http://gizmosreviews.blogspot.com/

Last Breath, (The Morganville Vampires #11), begins with the community of Morganville, Texas in an uproar over the pending nuptials between vampire Michael Glass and human Goth girl Eve Rosser. It ends with the core group of Claire, Shane, Michael, and Eve once again fighting for their very lives from yet again big bad who is more dangerous than Bishop ever was.

Neither vampires nor humans want the wedding to go through. They believe in separation of species and anyone who steps out of that facade is considered to be a traitor to their race. Also, the last time a vampire/human wedding was allowed to happen, it didn’t end all that well for either partner.

Oliver, Morganville’s second in command, warns Michael and Eve that the town will be torn apart if this marriage is allowed to happen and the human pride faction in Morganville has lined up in outrage over the pending nuptials to the point where they refuse to help Eve.

Soon thereafter, a courier arrives in Morganville with a simple message for Amelie: RUN. Naturally, because Claire Danvers and Shane Collins know about the message, they are put in harm’s way and Myrnin is given an order to kill them in order to keep the message a secret. Thankfully, cooler heads prevail.

Claire in the meantime, has been seeing a mysterious man around town. It appears she is the only person, be it human or vampire, who can see this person. At the same time, vampires like Oliver, and Naomi, go missing without a trace and Amelie has to make a choice that will affect everyone in Morganville.

*Thoughts*

Last breath is a wonderful story with lots of intrigue and mystery and stunning turn of events that will, well, leave you breathless and wanting the next book to arrive in your mailbox like tomorrow!

Caine allows readers to see from five different points of view, including Amelie, as things rapidly transcend into darkness and major characters fall by the wayside.

Claire – In my opinion, Last Breath is Claire’s beacon to shine and fight for what she believes in; her friends, her town, and her own life. She realizes that she is as expendable as every other human in Morganville even with Amelie being her Protector. She is one of the more interesting characters of this series, and the glue that holds the core group together. She has come a long way from the first book when she didn’t realize vampires were the core group of the town. At times she still needs a good hard thump to the head to realize that she and her friends will always be in danger from someone, or something unless they fight with everything they have. She is literally put through the ringer this time around, and I was not surprised to see what happens to her, or the fact that Myrnin goes above and beyond in order to help save her life.

Oliver – Has always been a person I hated because he believes that humans are meals and nothing more. By the end of this book, he’s more important to the series than ever and it appears that he has made an agreement with Shane and Claire to fight back against that which threatens all their safety.

Amelie - Caine actually gives readers a look into the mindset of Amelie once she understands that her town is in mortal danger from a foe that cannot be defeated. She makes some hard choices, and in the end, probably endangered her own life permanently. There were times I wanted to shout "COWARD" because of her actions and the fact that it appears she was ready to commit genocide of all the humans in town. We shall see what happens next.

Myrnin – Okay so there’s not a lot more I can say about Myrnin that others haven’t already. He is truly a remarkable character and I love the fact that Shane calls him Crazy McTeeth, Nutty McFang, and Count Crackula. For Claire, she owes Myrnin everything, and I mean everything. Interesting that yet again we find out that Myrnin has more than just feelings for Claire and goes above and beyond to save her life and gives her a choice.

*Final thoughts*

Last Breath begins the final trilogy, as it were, of the Morganville Vampires series. There are lots of different ways this series could end.

1. With everyone remaining human and leaving together hand in hand.
2. With Eve or Claire becoming vampires and one of them taking over leadership of Morganville after the rest of the vampires have been eliminated by the big bad Magnus.
3. With a dual wedding between Shane/Claire & Michael/Eve in the final book of the series, and then walking away from Morganville in seperate directions.

Upcoming releases:
Black Dawn (The Morganville Vampires,#12) Expected publication: May 1st 2012
Bitter Blood (Morganville Vampires, #13) TBA

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Last Breath.

02/05/2012 page 55
16.0% "Only Shane could come up with Crazy McTeeth, Nutty McFang, and Count Crackula for Myrnin." 3 comments
02/06/2012 page 117
35.0% "Claire has been in Morganville for how long now? Now, she realizes that she's expendable? Crikey what a tool."
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mimi (new) - added it

Mimi Smith Great review! I love this series, but I haven't read this one yet. I think the last one I read was the one where Shane got crazy.

I love Myrnin, too and I think he has romantic feelings for Claire, even though it was repeated many times he doesn't.

I don't really see how Michael/Eve thing can be smoothed out, without her becoming a vampire and i don't think Shane will turn. It's against his very nature and he harbors too much resentment. claire could, though.

I enjoy these books a lot, but sometimes I think this series has been going on for too long. If someone put all the things that happened to them on paper it would be insane. How many times they almost died? How many times one of them started turning into a different person? There is, still, a cohesive plot in the series, though, so it's kind of ok.

Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews I agree Mimi. That is why I'm actually happy to know that there are only 2 more books left in this series. Anymore than that, and we end up getting in the LKH realm of idiocy. Sorry, don't much care for the Anita Blake series since the 10th, or 11th book.

message 3: by Mimi (new) - added it

Mimi Smith Shelley wrote: "I agree Mimi. That is why I'm actually happy to know that there are only 2 more books left in this series. Anymore than that, and we end up getting in the LKH realm of idiocy. Sorry, don't much car..."

Sometimes authors just don't know when to finish a series. Getting less books for a series from an author you love is better than it turning into something that feels like too much. For me, it has happened with Jeanine Frost's Cat and Bones series, Sherrilyn Kenyon DH series, Janet Evanovitch, and I'm kind of afraid it'll happen for KMM's Fever series.

I guess, at a certain point, it feels like there's no progress anymore, neither with the characters nor the plot. So, the authors make up bizarre situations and uncharacteristic conflicts to keep things stirred.

I haven't read Anita Blake books and I don't think I will either. I heard the similar happened with Charlene Harris. Most people say the recent books aren't as good.

Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews It's interesting that we have the same opinions about several series you mentioned along the way. You get so caught up in the characters, that sometimes the story is larger than life. Then there are those series which ended all too soon and weren't given a second opportunity to go past 2-3 books.

message 5: by Mimi (new) - added it

Mimi Smith Shelley wrote: "It's interesting that we have the same opinions about several series you mentioned along the way. You get so caught up in the characters, that sometimes the story is larger than life. Then there ar..."

Yes! I guess the best is to have a clear idea what you want to say when starting a series and don't let popularity or something else change your mind and make you write books that are absolutely unnecessary. It's especially true for UF/YA. Like I said-I don't want Mac and Barrons to have extra books, if, after everything, they start acting like unreasonable idiots.

That's not to say I'm not excited when I hear I'll get a chance to read more about some of my favorite characters.

The conclusion to all this, I think, is that I'm glad Morganville is soon to be over, as I was glad with Weather Warden, though I'm not sure I liked the ending there.