Nafiza's Reviews > Sorrow's Knot

Sorrow's Knot by Erin Bow

Oct 09, 13

bookshelves: canadian-authors, books-for-review, 2013, favourites, books-i-own
Read from October 03 to 04, 2013

Before we begin any sort of review on this novel, let me just say I’m a shameless Erin Bow fangirl. I read and loved Plain Kate which is an amazing book and one you need to read if you haven’t done so already.

Now that we have that out of the way, let’s move on to Sorrow’s Knot. And I really don’t know where to start talking about this book. Honestly, I don’t. Okay, I can do this.

Sorrow’s Knot is brilliantly Canadian without being explicit about it. The novel tells a story; by that I mean I felt as though I was sitting around a fire, hearing about Otter, Cricket and Kestrel. There is something hypnotic about the narrative tone – the short and pithy sentences manage to be evocative despite their length. The cadence of the prose. There is a quiet intensity in the small, soft moments. The friendship is so beautifully expressed between Cricket and Otter, and Otter and Kestrel. While Cricket and Otter are good friends, I think I most empathized with the friendship between Kestrel and Otter. Theirs is an honest friend, not sugar-coated and falsely sunny. They trust each other to do the things they would not be able to do and there’s beauty in that.

Though the characters and their lifestyles and portrayals are suggestive of First Nations people, Bow avoids mention of any specific tradition or otherwise identifiable to a certain tribe or people and thus avoids any instances of cultural appropriation. A lot of time is devoted in making the Westmost people feel authentic in their rituals and traditions and I appreciate the research that must have been done to make it so. The fictional Westmost people are ruled by matriarchy and I love how this affects gender constructions. The novel explores themes of death and letting go in such a poignant and beautiful manner that even though your heart is breaking, you cannot help but read on.

Another aspect of the novel that I enjoyed very much is the distinction between the two girls. Kestrel is the character a YA novel would usually follow. She is the epitome of the strong heroine; the Katniss, of sorts. Otter, on the other hand, though not physically strong has strength of a different kind. It is interesting to have a nonconventional heroine for once. The romances in this novel are sweet and sad and I liked how cleverly the girls discuss physical relationships without shying away from it.

Sorrow’s Knot does not deal with the destruction of the world on a grand scale. It concerns itself with the lives of one particular group of people and goes deep into their mythology, their prejudices and their resistance to change. Readers who are more familiar with scenarios where the fate of the world rests upon the protagonists’ overly burdened shoulders may find themselves discomfited for a while. However, the realization that Otter’s world, though not very big, is just as important comes quick and with that realization, the reader will be swept away by the story of the binders and their knots.

The tension in the novel is exquisitely managed and readers’ emotions will react as though they are the strings in a finely strung violin. The tension continues to rise until you are almost despairing and then eases only to rise again. In other words, Erin Bow plays with your emotions. A lot. And you willingly read on, almost breathless with the anticipation, because you have to see Otter’s story to the end.

And what an end it is. You guys, I didn’t think I could love Sorrow’s Knot more than Plain Kate but I do. Definitely, strongly, recommended.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sorrow's Knot.

10/03/2013 marked as: currently-reading
10/03/2013 page 58
15.0% "This is SO good! Gahhhhh."
10/04/2013 page 214
58.0% "Oh my heart! My poor, poor heart. T.T"
10/04/2013 marked as: read

message 1: by Aaron (new) - added it

Aaron Hold on now. Better than Plain Kate? The seeming impossibility of this is making me twitch in anticipation and also making me wonder whether it can possibly live up to my expectations.

Nafiza I thought so. It doesn't have Taggles in it but there's a Cricket! I need to read it again to see if that assertion holds up.