Luann's Reviews > Dashing Through the Snow

Dashing Through the Snow by Mary Higgins Clark

Dec 27, 10

bookshelves: christmas, mystery, audio, 2010, adult
Read from December 09 to 17, 2010

It's been years since I last read anything by Mary Higgins Clark. I really enjoyed her early books, but at some point she ran out of new ideas. At least that's what it felt like to me. All of her books started to feel the same so I stopped reading them.

This one has been sitting on my iPod for a couple of years. I got a good deal on it from iTunes, but then never listened to it. I wasn't sure how much I would really enjoy it. But I wanted something light and easy after spending WAY too much time on audio with Moby Dick. Also, I thought that I would probably enjoy this more right before Christmas than any other time of the year.

I gave it three stars, but my real rating would be 2.5 stars. It did fit the bill of something light and easy. In fact, very light and quite cheesy and silly in some places. Some of the characters were laughable, and not in a good way - although I do really like Alvirah Meehan. Mary Higgins Clark wrote this with her daughter, Carol Higgins Clark. It has characters from both of their books: Alvirah and Willy Meehan (from MHC books) and Regan and Jack Reilly along with Regan's mom (from CHC books). It felt like too many cooks in the kitchen - or maybe I should say too many sleuths in the mystery! Apparently there is a series of books they have co-written with all of these characters and all set around Christmastime.

The audio version was read by Carol Higgins Clark. For the first little bit her speech seemed very stilted and forced. I wasn't sure I would be able to listen to the entire book. I continued, though, and after a while I didn't notice it as much. Either I got used to her speech patterns or she relaxed and sounded more natural. She did some nice women's voices, but her men's voices could be better - which is a common complaint I have with many female narrators.

Overall, this was okay to listen to since I was in the mood for something light and easy, although I most likely won't ever want to listen to it again. I also won't buy any others in this series, but might listen to another if I found it at the library and it was around Christmastime.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dashing Through the Snow.

12/11/2010 page 1
show 4 hidden updates…

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 3: by Ashley (new)

Ashley I loved MHC growing up. During Jr high and HS, I read everything she wrote, except the memoirs and the George and Martha Washington story.

I haven't read her two newest books because I agree that I don't seem to enjoy her writing as much now. It seems like the stories keep getting weaker.

I've never been a huge fan of the Meehan's, so I've always been disappointed with the books she wrote with her daughter, and I don't think I've read them all.

Luann The only other books I've read with the Meehans were written by MHC on her own. I thought the characters were fun - a bit lighter than her other books but still worth reading. But I never felt the need to read an entire series with those characters! I've only read a couple of CHC's books that she wrote on her own. They didn't catch my interest at all. So I really don't think combining both sets of characters was a good idea at all. I'm surprised they got a whole series of them published.

message 1: by Ashley (new)

Ashley I know what you mean Luann. I read one or two CHC, and was unimpressed. But, I also get annoyed by series with recurring characters like that. I'm a PI, or detective etc, so it's okay for me to have a never ending supply of books.

The Meehans were okay on their own, but never my favorites. I like them in Weep No More, My Lady, but not so much The Lottery Winner. It's a little bit blah...