Jenny's Reviews > Slice of Cherry

Slice of Cherry by Dia Reeves

Jan 15, 11

bookshelves: 2011-read, young-adult, dnf
Read in January, 2011

First let me say that anything with blood and killing freaks me out to no end. When I first heard about the book and read the book summary and found out that both Kit and Fancy succumb to their “desire to kill” I knew this probably wouldn’t be the book for me. But I did get a copy of Slice of Cherry from the publisher for review so I did want to give it a try. I’m reading the first chapter and already there’s lots of blood and cutting of someone. After every chapter I asked myself if I could go on because some of the things the girls were doing/thinking of doing was pretty graphic. I did read to about 100 pages until I finally decided that I couldn’t finish it and that the story would probably give me nightmares.

That was the main reason I didn’t finish the book and apart from that what I did like was the world building. The town of Portero is so out there--its weird and mysterious and crazy with some strange locals to boot. Dia Reeves was great at describing the different settings in the story and was easy to picture them all. I know Bleeding Violet (the author’s debut novel) takes place in the same town and I’m open to reading it if I ever get a chance to as its probably not as bloody and gruesome as Slice of Cherry was.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slice of Cherry.