Lora's Reviews > City of Bones

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

4632071
Jun 05, 11

bookshelves: g-ya-paranorm
Recommended for: people who actually enjoy YA paranormal romance
Read from December 31, 2010 to January 02, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

This series has a lot of hype behind it, of both the positive and negative variety, and so naturally I started City of Bones with a mix of anticipation and trepidation. And while I wouldn't say that I'm nuts over it, it isn't as bad as some reviewers would paint it.

The writing is, surprisingly, exceptional. I wouldn't expect good writing from a book blurbed by Stephenie Meyer, but there you have it: Clare can actually write well. Her sentences are composed with an erudite hand and make the eyes glide over them with ease.
Clary . . . well, here's the thing about her: she's heavily overshadowed by the supporting characters. She seems to have little personality and what little she does possess seems rather dull and cookie-cutter. One key point when writing a series with many characters, Clare, don't let your lead be weaker than your weakest supporting character. I can only hope that she improves as the series progresses.
Jace definitely has the sexy and aloof thing going for him, plus he plays the piano(!). Lots of personality, sarcasm, strength on the page — pretty much the opposite of Clary. I guess opposites do attract, even in fiction.
And . . . that brings me to the Jace-and-Clary love fest. Lots of chemistry, lots of sexy times going on with them. But if you've read this then you know their budding love is in serious jeopardy. (view spoiler) Gonna have to read book two to see where that goes.
Simon. So sweet, so endearing — and so never going to have his romantic feelings for Clary reciprocated. Seriously, I can't help but feel bad for that kid.
Alec, Jace's longtime friend, was a great character who I wouldn't hesitate to call my favorite if it weren't for Jace and, oh yes, Magnus. Mustn't forget Magnus! The promise of something between him and a certain character (view spoiler) is one of the main reasons why I plan to continue reading this series. So yes, City of Ashes is up next for me. 3.5 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Bones.

12/31/2010 page 56
12.0% "Me: Why, no Doctor I haven't yet read the Mortal Instruments series. My Doc: Lora, as your Doctor, I advise you to go and read the Mortal Instuments series immediately. Me: Well, if you say so . . .;)"
12/31/2010 page 110
23.0% "Jace's conceited, aloof, sexy as hell, and he plays the piano. I'm a goner." 8 comments
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Eileen I'm curious what you think of this book/series. Please, let me know and by the way "Happy New Year".

Lora Happy New Year, Eileen! I should have some sort of review up when I finish this. So far it's really good,
the plot moves along well, and the characters are REALLY GOOD. (Especially Jace!)

Eileen Thanks! I ordered the first three books of the series about three weeks ago, but due to bad weather conditions in the UK and the holiday season I haven't received them yet! This really sucks, because I can't wait to start reading them.

Lora I think you'll really like this book/series. I hate ordering books in the winter because the weather and the holiday rush always makes it take forever for them to get to me!

Kristy ooooh, i loved this series!!! I can't wait to hear what you think... it makes me want to go back and re-read!

message 6: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah M Great review Lora! I hope I will enjoy this series!

Eileen Wow, that sounds really good! Thanks for this wonderful review. I totally agree with the piano part. The most sexy scene in Twilight is Rob playing the piano (sigh).

message 8: by Nic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nic Loved your review! Jace is pretty awesome. Glad you are enjoying this series. I still need to read the final book.

Jessica Great review! This is one of my all time favorites! Glad you're liking it :)

message 10: by Lora (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lora @ Sarah
Thanks! I'm sure you'll like this series :)
@ Eileen
Thanks for your praise! And the piano . . . le sigh ;)
@ Jessica
Thanks Jess! I'm definitely liking it so far :)

message 11: by Lora (last edited Jan 03, 2011 06:33AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lora @ Nic

message 12: by Mayomi (new) - added it

Mayomi Glad you enjoyed the book. I wish I could finish the book already, I just never find the time the complete it

message 13: by Lora (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lora Thanks Mayomi! Hunt the time down, girl! LOL :)

Sophie Lora Lora, you are in for such a ride! I envy you :)
Mortal Instruments books are simply awesome! Jace rocks!!!

message 15: by Lora (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lora Yes he does Sophie :)

message 16: by Nic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nic Lora wrote: "@ Nic
Thanks Nic! By the way, would you be interested in reading City of Glass with me? It'll take me probably 3 to 4 days to complete City of Ashes ;)"

Let me know when you start and I will see where I am at in the current book I am reading :)

message 17: by Lora (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lora I will! It'll probably take me a while to get through City of Ashes, but I know the book you're currently reading is over 800 pages. No pressure hun! ;)

message 18: by Nic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nic It is but is 3 books in one!

message 19: by Lora (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lora I know! LOL

Milly I can't wait for you to start the sequel! I said the same thing at the end when I read this book. Good thing I had the sequel handy when I finished with this one. It makes for less cussing!

message 21: by Tio (new) - added it

Tio tiffany um-- hey there! I am interested on this book and was wondering whether I should read this or not.. (because a lot of people are saying that its bad) but your review seems so. .. explaining :)
I think I'll try reading this
thanks for the review..! really great