Jeffrey Lawson's Reviews > His Majesty's Dragon

His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik

1914669
Dec 14, 10

Recommended to Jeffrey by: Lee Anne Litzsinger
Recommended for: Fans of both historical fiction and fantasy
Read from December 11 to 14, 2010

Imagine, if you will, a reasonably accurate historical novel about the Napoleonic wars -- maybe not as detailed as Forester or O'Brian's work but still fairly accurate -- then add...dragons??? I know it sounds odd, but His Majesty's Dragon really works. Captain Laurence and his Celestial Chinese Dragon Temeraire fly (if you will forgive the pun)off the page. Novik put a lot of thought into dragon culture and psychology. Great book. I enjoyed reading this book so much, and I will definitely read the rest of the series.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read His Majesty's Dragon.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lee Anne Hooray! I'm so glad you liked it. And Temeraire is so endearing, intelligent, and faithful--just what a dragon should be.

Jeffrey Lawson Lee Anne wrote: "Hooray! I'm so glad you liked it. And Temeraire is so endearing, intelligent, and faithful--just what a dragon should be."

I just ordered the rest of the series from the library. I cannot wait to continue this series.

Lee Anne I've only read through the second; I meant to pick up the third, but I got distracted, and then moved on to other series. But this reminds me that I need to keep reading them!

message 4: by Relyn (new)

Relyn Not sure I can forgive that pun ;^)

Jeffrey Lawson Lee Anne wrote: "I've only read through the second; I meant to pick up the third, but I got distracted, and then moved on to other series. But this reminds me that I need to keep reading them!"

I am actually listen to the audio version. If you like audio books, it is worth a listen. The narrator, Simon Vance, is fantastic.

Lee Anne I have a hard time getting into audio books. Partly because I'm used to listening to Focus on the Family's great radio dramas, so that I'm spoiled for only one narrator. And I get distracted and then go "what? what just happened?" I like movies, and books, but audio books seem to be an acquired taste.