Cris's Reviews > Finding the Way and Other Tales of Valdemar

Finding the Way and Other Tales of Valdemar by Mercedes Lackey

Jan 31, 11

bookshelves: esp, fantasy, valdemar, short-stories
Read from January 21 to 30, 2011

A very mixed bag. Several of the stories were really good with well-developed characters, a strong story, and a satisfactory resolution. Several stories were pretty lackluster. And one story was the worst Valdemaran story I've ever read. (Several stories contained reoccurring characters from earlier collections. While you can probably pick up enough to follow those stories, it would be easier if you've read the earlier stories.) I'm only going to specifically mention a few.

Finding the way by Mercedes Lackey & Larry Dixon -- excellent as usual. I'm glad I saved this one for last, even though it's first in the book. It gave me a great story to finish with.

Unintended Consequences by Elizabeth A Vaughan -- Talk about your short stories. *grin* It was less than 8 pages long, essentially one short scene that didn't go anywhere.

In Burning Zones We Build Against the Sun by Rosemary Edghill and Denise McCune -- A good, promising start. A nice ending. But. It reads like the beginning and end of what should have been a novella, or possibly even a novel. I would have liked to read the complete story that I'll bet is somewhere in the authors' heads.

The Education of Evita by Mickey Zucker Reichert -- This wins the award of "Worst Valdemaran Story--Ever" Yes, I detested the main character, Evita. And I thought the storyline was pretty stupid and weak. (Which is why Evita became the first story ever that I skimmed lightly instead of actually reading.) But what bothered me the most was the depiction of the Companion character. Companions do not--would never--act like Reichert had Camayo acting. It was jarring and repulsive.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Finding the Way and Other Tales of Valdemar.