Lacey Louwagie's Reviews > Writing Down the Bones: Freeing the Writer Within

Writing Down the Bones by Natalie Goldberg

Dec 11, 10

bookshelves: writing, non-fiction
Read in December, 2010 — I own a copy

This is actually the second time I've read "Writing Down the Bones." I wrote a rather scathing review of it the first time around . . . and yet, why did I return?

I was asked to teach a writing class for seniors, and immediately this book came to mind as a potential textbook. Despite the fact that I hadn't liked it much, something about it stuck with me. So I read it again, and decided that yes, I am going to use this as my textbook for the class. But why?

What stuck with me from this book was a genuine passion for writing, even though there are times when it comes across in Natalie's voice as presumptuous and self-important. And what I want to pass on in this class, more than skill or technique, is a genuine passion for writing. I've come to realize that there are some authors that I just have "personality conflicts" with -- Sue Monk Kidd is another one -- and that just because something about them rubs me the wrong way doesn't necessarily mean they aren't good writers or don't have something valuable to offer. And what this book provides that a lot of other books don't is a lot of IDEAS about writing, writing as a spiritual practice more than as a craft, and I think that it will provide fodder for discussion that a lot of more straightforward books wouldn't. So, there you have it, Natalie Goldberg. I'm not a fan, and yet I'm about to be responsible for selling about 20 more copies of this book. And one of those copies is coming to me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Writing Down the Bones.