Miranda's Reviews > Driftwood Summer

2762094
Sep 07, 11

bookshelves: books-i-wish-to-own
Read in September, 2011

Driftwood Summer is the story of three sisters, all raised in small beach side town where people flock every summer to get away from their busy city lives. Although they were all raised there, the oldest, Riley, is the only one permanently living there, along with her son Brayden. The two live over the bookstore that Riley and her mother own. Maisy ran away from the sleepy little town twelve years ago, and the youngest sister, Adalee, has been busy at college.

But now it's the bookstore's 200th birthday...and Mama's 70th. And all three sisters are brought together by a series of events for longer than any of them really wanted. And as old friends come into town for the celebration, they find themselves half living in the past. Will they be able to get over it, or will it just tear them further apart? Will they be able to save the bookstore from it's debt?

I loved this book. I didn't think I was going to like I quite as much as I thought I was going to, maybe a three star rating, but look how wrong I was! It's a heart warming story. And it kind of makes you think about your life. Wonder if you're holding onto some things that you maybe should've let go of a while past. My only complaint is that Adalee didn't have a very big role in the book. I know that the age gap was a big one, ten years, but she didn't even get a perspective. The book was told entirely by Maisy and Riley.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Driftwood Summer.