Arya's Reviews > A Casa

A Casa by André Vianco

3190260
Feb 02, 11

Read on December 11, 2010 — I own a copy

The first book from André Vianco that I read was "O Senhor da Chuva", and when I did so, I made it clear that I don't like his writing style because I think he lacks the ability of making the reading fluid. This is the main reason why I didn't expect much of this book. Alas, I'm glad to say that I was wrong.

A Casa is the story of four different people going through the same problem: in a certain point of their lives, they did something they deeply regret. They're tired. They just want some peace of mind. And when they're about to give up hope, they get a card with an address and a single sentence. A promise of relief for their angsty hearts. That's the focus of the book: what would you do if you had a second chance to undo your mistakes?

André Vianco's writing style remains pretty much the same: the frequently paused narrative and the formal+informal dialogs still remain, but they're better disguised. Almost fluid. In spite of the book telling four different stories all at once, this doesn't really slow you down in your reading. It even gives you time to actually LIKE the characters.
Speaking of them, they were as developed as 227 pages allow you. The stories are short, but quite clear and objective. And I admit it, I cried in most of the book.

I'm honestly surprised. But in a nice way. This is the sort of book to read in a single sitting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Casa.