Wicked Lil Pixie (Natasha)'s Reviews > Hellforged

Hellforged by Nancy Holzner

Jan 08, 2011

liked it
Read from December 11 to 14, 2010 — I own a copy

Hellforged is book two in the Deadtown series by Nancy Holzner. Since I didn’t review book one, I’ll give you a quick up summary to get you up to speed. Victory is a demon hunter & also a shape shifter (she can only change 3 times a month). In Deadtown, Vicky sends the demon that killed her father, back to hell but through the struggle to do so bounds herself to him in the process & ends up with a demon mark.

Right from the start of Hellforged we have action, Vicky is battling a Glitch (a technology demon) with her sidekick Tina, a teenage zombie. This ends up being the last job Vicky does for awhile because when she goes to sleep that night, her dream-scape is invaded. This is a huge problem, because Vicky’s dream-scape is not supposed to be breached. When she finally contacts her Aunt Mab, Mab tells Vicky she must come to Wales to begin her final demon training…but Mab sounds scared.

I love the way Nancy Holzner tells a story, it makes the reader feel like they are apart of the world she has created. Her writing flows so well together, it’s only hours later you realize you haven’t moved from the couch!

In Hellforged, we move more into the mythology surrounding Vicky & away from Deadtown the area in which all paranormals have to live within Boston. That makes it a little on the slow side, as we are gathering more background then action but it makes sense towards the end of the book. We needed this information for the series to go ahead & start pacing again.

The romance was a bit disappointing, as we don’t have much of it. Vicky has an on-again, off-again with werewolf Kane & started seeing Homicide Detective Daniel, but both were pretty blah. Nothing big in romance because the story is focusing on the dream invading & the mythology.

I am a huge Tina fan, so I was a bit disappointed to see she wasn’t with Vicky through-out the story but rather appeared in bits & pieces. I really want a Tina spin-off, I love her that much!

All in all, I loved Deadtown but Helforged was a little to much mythology for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hellforged.

12/12/2010 page 57