Valerie's Reviews > Heaven Looks a Lot Like the Mall

Mar 19, 2008

it was ok
bookshelves: young-adult
Read in March, 2008

Well, this book was no A Mango-Shaped Space (the other book that I've read and enjoyed by Wendy Mass/the inspiration for reading this one). To start, it was written in poetry form, which was OK, but I've seen done better (see Sonya Sones). Also, the premise of the book was walking a fine line between being something that could have really worked, or sucked. Unfortunately, I think it fell more toward the "sucked" side. It didn't suck completely, mind you - but it was definitely on the "suck" side of the line.

The main character in the book is a semi-overweight teen who lives with the constant criticism of her mom and the disinterest of her dad. Both her parents work at the mall, and she spends a lot of time there. So when she gets hit in the face by a dodgeball (what better way to check out when you're in high school?) and loses consciousness, it's only appropriate that the limbo/heaven zone she winds up in is at the mall.

I was semi-on board up to this point, but of course when she hit the "heavenly" mall, she met an angel-type guy there that gave her a bag containing past purchases that she'd made there, and each successive chapter is named after a store. The story unfolds through what she bought at each, and how it affected her life.

(I'm feeling maudlin just writing this.)

So, like I said - it definitely falls on the "suck" side of the line.

If you're interested in Wendy Mass, I'd skip straight over this one, and pick up A Mango-Shaped Space instead.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heaven Looks a Lot Like the Mall.

Comments <span class="smallText"> (showing 1-3 of 3) </span> <span class="smallText">(3 new)</span>

message 1: by Kim (new) - added it

Kim dammit... I was looking forward to this one.

Valerie Read the first few pages at the library and see what you think. (And I know - I was looking forward to going back to the mall, too! If Tessa {the main character} had gone to the food court and got one of everything, I would have liked her more :)

Lisa the Librarian Check out Every Soul A Star by Wendy Mass. I enjoyed that one more than this. I'll have read Mango Shaped Space.