Nickolas's Reviews > Confessions of an English Opium Eater

Confessions of an English Opium Eater by Thomas de Quincey

1531958
Jan 25, 11

Read from December 15, 2010 to January 26, 2011

This was a random read for me which I downloaded free on my iPhone. This is an autobiography about Thomas de Quincey’s love affair with opium which he originally published anonymously in 1821 when opium dens were en vogue. I really should have been alive at that time. Now we have meth labs and crack houses. There is absolutely no romanticism in crack. For shame.

The book is written in two main parts, the first of which is an introduction to his personal life and upbringing which was pretty odd in my opinion. Being that I had no clue what this book was about going into it I thought this first part was a bit of a literary wank and although wasn’t gripping me for whatever reason I couldn’t stop reading.

Part two is where we get into it and he talks about his introduction to opium all the way to his release from it. A lot of the time it was unclear to me exactly where he was in a lot of his stories as he doesn’t give locations. For example he was taking opium in a cave somewhere not in England. That sort of bothered me.

In the end he says that opium is bad, but I’ll tell you, for the good part of the book I was ready to hop on a plane to Indochina and move into the first opium den I could find. Yay Opium!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Confessions of an English Opium Eater.