Carissa Anne's Reviews > Autumn

Autumn by David Moody

Dec 10, 10

bookshelves: futuristic, horror
Read in December, 2010

** spoiler alert ** I picked Autumn up for my boyfriend at the library, since it was about zombies and I thought he might be interested. Of course, since he's more interested in video games than literature, I ended up reading it first - and now there's no way I'm letting him waste his life. Aside from each... character... speaking like... this... (which is a HUGE pet peeve of mine), they insisted upon repeating their opinions in four different ways each before the storyline could move on. Each scene was described a handful of different times, and it took forever for them to stop talking and just do something. Well, that would imply that they actually did anything at all. The zombies never actually became zombies - just animated corpses - and it was overall boring. The entire storyline just consists of survivors congregating, hiding, running to a different safe place, hiding, getting supplies, hiding, getting supplies, hiding, and then getting supplies. And then oh no, they can't hide! So they run. And hide. That's seriously about that. Save yourself the trouble and don't bother reading this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Autumn.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melissa (last edited Nov 03, 2011 01:55PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Melissa Ah, you explained my EXACT feelings towards this "book". It seems they don't even have to run really, I mean, the zombies just seem to be minding their own business.

message 2: by Spacejockey (new)

Spacejockey Missing the point completely

Carissa Anne Spacejockey wrote: "Missing the point completely"

Melissa Carissa Anne wrote: "Spacejockey wrote: "Missing the point completely"

I'm sorry you don't agree with me. Others liked the book, just like others thought it was boring and uneventful, like myself."

What is the point?

Malbon Should have read this review before I got to page 183. So nothing happens at all?

Carissa Anne Honestly, no, unfortunately. I wanted a zombie breakthrough, I wanted someone to get hurt or something that made them stuck and have to overcome the situation, but it never happened.

Malbon Thanks. You've saved me from another 200 pages of awful.

I decided to skip ahead a little bit to see if it would pick up. I got to the part where the zombies actually attack and chase Emma through the house. Then the next chapter started and it was all a dream, and I gave up in disgust.

Carissa Anne Exactly. I thought that somehow, it had picked up! There was actually some plot! I don't know why the author decided to make it a dream, as if we were all so connected to Emma's character and would be devestated if it had really happened. Life's too short to read bad books. There are too many good ones out there waiting for me.