Babs's Reviews > A Plain and Simple Christmas

A Plain and Simple Christmas by Amy Clipston

1970552
Dec 14, 2010

bookshelves: amish, fiction, romance, favorites
Recommended for: Amish, Christian, Romance
Read from December 10 to 13, 2010 — I own a copy , read count: 1

In the tradition of her widely popular Kauffman Amish Bakery series, author Amy Clipston tells the tale of Anna Mae McDonough who was shunned by her family four years ago when she left her Amish community in Lancaster County, PA, to marry an 'Englisher' (non Amish) man and move with him to Baltimore. Now, eight months pregnant when her first child, she longs to return home for Christmas to reconcile with her family, especially her stern father, who is the religious leader for her former Amish church district. So Anne Mae writes a letter to Kathryn Beiler, her brother's wife, to enlist her help. Kathryn asks her husband, David, if she should arrange Anna Mae's visit. David cautions her that a visit would cause too much stress in the family and instead suggests they visit Anna Mae and her husband in the spring. However, Kathryn arranges the visit anyway, believing in her heart that it's God's will for the family to heal. When Anna Mae arrives in Lancaster for Christmas, she doesn't receive the welcome she expects and her world begins to fall apart, leaving her to question her place in her family -- and her faith in God. A book filled with love, the pain of being separated from one's family, and the determination to follow God's will regardless of the outcome, A Plain and Simple Christmas is an inspiring page-turner that will keep you guessing what happens next...right to the very last page.

My 2 cents:

I adored this book, I thought Anna Mae was a great character. I felt for her through out this story and for her family too. She was shunned when she chose her English husband and her family took it hard. After 3 years, she writes to her sister in law to about coming out to visit. Kathryn was thrilled to hear from her and got things rolling. Everyone was worried how Anne Mae's dad was going to take the news since he is the bishop for the community. Kathryn's husband and Anna Mae's brother David, was not happy at first about the visit as he knew his dad was not going to take it well. Anna Mae is pregnant with her first child and wants to mend the relationship with her family so they can be a family again. Kellan her husband is very supportive and loves her very much. It is a touching story of love and healing. I would highly recommend this book to anyone. It is an easy read.
I liked the fact that the story is not all sugar coated so to speak. Anna Mae is not as welcomed as she thought she would be. There are some tough times along with the good. It all makes the book more realistic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Plain and Simple Christmas.