Rob's Reviews > Henrietta Sees It Through: More News from the Home Front 1942-1945

Henrietta Sees It Through by Joyce Dennys

Dec 10, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: literary, first-reads
Read from February 12 to 18, 2011 — I own a copy

At first it was a little difficult to get into this novel without having read the predecessor and therefore not knowing the cast of characters but after awhile you begin to appreciate the vignettes for what they are: enjoyable slices of life from the time period of World War II. I think what I found most interesting and notable was the affect war had on gender roles; there are a number of instances where Dennys subtlety reminds the reader that while women were asked to give of themselves as equally as men were their returns and benefits were far lower. One example in particular is of equal compensation for injury during war time attacks, men being compensated greater than were women at the time, it serves a good reminder of are not so distance past.
The epistolary style reminded me of Bridget Jones and one can see how it would have made for a nice read during uncertain times because of the general hopeful tone of the text.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Henrietta Sees It Through.

Quotes Rob Liked

Joyce Dennys
“Living in a small town...is like living in a large family of rather uncongenial relations. Sometimes it’s fun, and sometimes it’s perfectly awful, but it’s always good for you. People in large towns are like only-children.”
Joyce Dennys, Henrietta Sees It Through: More News from the Home Front 1942-1945

Joyce Dennys
“...‘All this suffering,’ I said, ‘and nothing but greed and violence to build on when the war is over.’
‘Have another soda-mint,’ said Charles.
I had one. Then I said, ‘Why are we here? That’s what I don’t understand. Why be here at all when it all has to be so beastly?’
‘I suppose we just came, like mould on cheese.’
‘Then why do we want to be happy? Mould on cheese doesn’t want to be happy.’ ...”