Hayden Casey's Reviews > Born at Midnight

Born at Midnight by C.C. Hunter

Apr 29, 12

bookshelves: cant-wait, speed-read, started-slow, skipped-over-most-of-it, series-just-end-already, own-it, dnf
Read from May 04 to 06, 2011

Kylie Galen has had a lot of crap tossed in her lap lately. Her parents are getting a divorce for who the heck knows why. Her boyfriend broke up with her because she wouldn't put out. And her grandmother died because . . . well, older people do that. But now, Kylie's acquired a stalker and she hasn't a clue what he wants or how to get rid of him . . . and she really wants to get rid of him because apparently she's the only one who sees him. Thinking she may be losing it, her parents send her off to see a psychologist who gets Kylie sent to Shadow Falls Camp. Kylie and her parents think it's a camp for troubled teens.

They thought wrong.

Kylie's surrounded by vampires, werewolves, fairies, witches and shapeshifters. And if she believes what they tell her, she's one of them. They're just not sure exactly how she fits in. As Kylie struggles to cope with the realization that these creatures even exist, and the fact that she might not be human, she's got two hot guys, a werewolf and a half-fairy vying for her attention. And they can just keep vying. Kylie's determined that before she lets her heart loose on love, she needs to unearth the truth. What does the ghost want? Who can and can't she trust? And most of all . . . What is she?

This is the summary I read when I first saw this book. Judging from the tone of the passage (you can tell I had English today), you'd think this book would be snarky, narcissistic and a buttload of fun.

Sadly, that's not the case.

By the time I got to page 100, I really didn't care whether or not the MC was dead or not. For one, it's written in third-person (a pet-peeve of mine, especially when having done otherwise would highly benefit the book). This book is the worst possible book ever to have been written in third person.

I've been visiting CC Hunter's website since reading this book, and I'm actually really excited for the next installments in the series, even though this one was on the short side of FAIL.

[image error]

Yeah. That's what I thought. Fail.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Born at Midnight.

05/04/2011 page 57
14.0% "This would be SOOO much better if it was in first-person . . . :-/"
05/05/2011 page 79
19.0% "Third-person limited FTL (for the loss). :-( I had such high expectations!"
05/05/2011 page 89
21.0% "Can this just be done already?"
05/06/2011 page 127
31.0% "Gonna skim through the rest and call it read."
04/01/2012 page 1
0.0% 1 comment
04/02/2012 page 3
1.0% "In some books, it's totally obvious they're in third person. A lot of them you don't realize it is until you're like halfway through, but that's not the case with BaM."
04/03/2012 page 152
38.0% "I . . . actually quite like this. *ducks head* Don't hate me, Paige!"
04/29/2012 page 234
59.0% "I'm liking this quite a bit. It's like a more mature House of Night."
04/29/2012 page 265
67.0% ""Kylie stopped and considered her words. 'Gosh, I actually sounded smart right then. Didn't I?'""
04/29/2012 page 265
67.0% ""Swinging back around, Kylie stared at her eggs and her emotions felt just as scrambled."
"
04/29/2012 page 308
77.0% "Why the hell would you name your cat Socks?" 2 comments
04/29/2012 page 391
98.0% "That scene with her mom was so amazing. OMG. Paige, did you like that scene?"
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Freya Zank the book was such a disssapointment!

message 2: by David (new) - added it

David um... i thought it read more like a "first person" then "third person" to me. Because when i think "third person" i think "A Wizard of Earthsea".