Adam's Reviews > The Lady In Question

The Lady In Question by Victoria Alexander

Jan 04, 11

bookshelves: audiobooks-a-z

Post listen review: I went into this thinking I would want to give it negative stars and chuck it out the window which is how I have felt about most of the romance books I have listened to in my effort to listen to all the fictional audiobooks at the library. But to my great surprise this one was actually ok. Now don't get me wrong, I am not saying anyone should go out and read romance books (they mostly suck really badly) but if you absolutely have to read or listen to one, this is the one you should choose. At least in the A section of the library.

The premise was pretty funny and kind of enjoyable. It's set in London in the 1880's. A woman has married a man who was killed a week later. She never loved the man and is now a widow who has a large family fortune and has been left a hefty sum by her late husband. The scandal of her running off with the husband is mostly blowing over because a. he is now dead and b. her sister is able to spin it so that she was madly in love with the husband. The truth is she never cared that much for the husband but now is labeled a "woman of experience" and figures she might as well become one.

To add to that, she is unaware of the fact that her husband was a spy for the state and killed because of it. He had been looking into her family to see if he could find some papers critical to the government before he was killed. Unbeknownst to the woman is that her butler is actually a Viscount masquerading as a butler. The Viscount is a spy and contemporary of the woman's husband and trying to finish what the husband started.

The woman, Delia, is charmed by the Viscount in public and private and confides in her butler not knowing they are one and the same. You can probably guess how that turns out. No, really you can.

This book has some funny old people in it which I always like in books. The Effington women all seem to be prone to scandal and not one of them thinks Delia's is very bad at all. They hold a whole "tribunal" to discuss scandals and the grandmother is particularly funny.

There is also some genuinely (and for once in a romance book intentionally) funny dialougue. "He really is an honorable man... What a pity." And there is a scene in Hyde park involving a camel that was truly laugh inducing. But not in an I can't believe this is so bad way.

Still it is a romance and so has the following-

A rakish rogue who may actually be rakish but is not at all a rogue.

A friend who is appalled and excited by the romance (this time it's a twin sister)

Shopping. Well ok, redecorating but it amounts to the same thing which is an excuse for women to get together and gossip. But of course this time the butler is there to hear about it and uses the whole thing to his advantage.

Rich dudes. No one in romance books is poor. This is no exception. But for a change the woman really doesn't need the money and isn't that impressed with the nice things the guy could buy for her since she is loaded too. (Well ok maybe she was impressed with the camel to some extent but that was a rental)

Happy ending. But this time I wasn't going man I would hate to meet these people.

All this earns this book an unprecedented second star from me for a romance. But don't think that means the next romance will get a second star. It's going to at least have to have a camel in it for that!

Pre-listen guess: I am guessing I am going to hate this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lady In Question.