Lora's Reviews > Paranormalcy

Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

4632071
Jun 24, 11

bookshelves: g-ya-paranorm
Recommended for: people looking for a less angsty, more fun YA paranormal
Read from December 28 to 30, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 1

First off, I really liked Evie. She reminded me of Mac (from the Fever series) a little, and that can't be a bad thing. I'm usually very fastidious when it comes to finding heroines that I like, but Evie was actually really nice.
She may have had a couple of blonde moments towards the end (no offense to blondes, of course - my mother is actually blonde) but I still think she was fierce, fun, refreshing, and insecure in a way that I found quite endearing. I alternated between wanting to grab her and hug her and wanting to go shopping with her. She just has that aura about her. And when the time came for her to make the right decision, she made it. Plain and simple. There was no messing everything up so that the stage is set for the next book to have a bunch of obstacles to move and things to fix that could have easily been avoided if the heroine had only made the right decision. To be blunt, she wasn't stupid (like some heroines I won't mention here *cough*Ever*cough*).
(view spoiler)

Lend was completely different from what I was expecting. Kind, sweet, yet protective when the situation called for it. He was the perfect yang to Evie's yin.
And the paranormal aspect with him seemed more unique than most out there right now; I liked that.

I've never been a big fan of faeries when they're the kind that manipulate and take you away from where you're clearly supposed to be. So I think it's safe to say that I didn't really like Reth. But, in this case, I'm not quite sure you're supposed to. It seems to me that the author wants us to know he's not really a second choice for Evie—unless he changes drastically in the next installment—so much as an obstacle for Evie to overcome. So, as far as love triangles go, I'd say this novel doesn't really have one (YES! That's a good thing, IMO). And here's to hoping that doesn't change in the next installment.

Now, I think the only thing I haven't mentioned is the writing. I think that some may read this novel and feel that it's maybe too cutesy or fluffy; however, for me, it was just a nice change of pace from all of the angsty YA romances that seem to be so popular.

So, Paranormalcy is a good debut and I look forward to seeing where this story goes in the sequel, Supernaturally.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paranormalcy.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nic This books is a lot of fun! Happy reading :)

Lora Thanks Nic!

message 3: by Nic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nic Great review Lora. I think you summed this book up perfectly :)

Lora Thank Nic! You're a doll:)

Nicole ^ I agree with Nic, you said everything I was thinking! Good one Lora :)

Lora Thanks Nicole. I'm excited for Supernaturally. :)

Maddison Dru Bleep! That was a great review! (I know, oh-so corny, but I couldn't help myself)

Lucy This was a fun read & I agree with you that the style is a refreshing change of pace. Hope that Supernaturally is just as enjoyable.
Great review :)

Tayler OMG! Luv it! It makes me feel like I'm part of the story. :^)