Londonmabel Mabel's Reviews > A Tale of Two Cities

Jan 27, 11

bookshelves: f-historical, 2gave-to-bookiverse, 1ebook, 2own-fiction
Recommended to Londonmabel by: dad
Read from December 10, 2010 to January 27, 2011, read count: 1

I had trouble caring what happened to Lucie and Charlies. But I cared about the Dr Manette, and Mr Lorry and Miss Pross (great classic Dickens characters), so I cared for their sake. Great characters. I also admit it was harder to get into the suspense of the book because the end's been spoilered for me by a hundred media influences; but the second half of the book is very page-turney.

Sad to say it, but... I think this book was too short for what Dickens does. The man needs tiiiime to really draw you into the lives of his peeps, and there wasn't enough time. Also, he wasn't at home in France. I always felt tossed between extreme sympathy and extreme unsympathy for the French, so that it was hard to see them as human. You pitied them or hated them, except perhaps for the last character. I think Dickens was more at home criticizing Victorian England--he was just the man for shedding lamplight into cupboards of skeletons, and into creaky old institutions that needed reforming.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Tale of Two Cities.