Stacey (prettybooks)'s Reviews > Oryx and Crake

Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood

Mar 01, 11

bookshelves: read-after-university, dystopian-or-post-apocalyptic, read-in-my-twenties, adult-fiction
Read from February 26 to March 01, 2011, read count: 1

(Warning: there are some slight spoilers but nothing that I think will ruin the book)

This was the first Margaret Atwood book I read and it definitely made a good first impression. Oryx and Crake begins telling us about Snowman's living situation: surviving in a post-apocalyptic world. Snowman may be the only human left on Earth, and has no company, except for the Crakers (creatures similar to humans) as well as dangerous genetically modified animals such as "pigoons" (pigs with bodies shaped like balloons bred to grow extra organs for human transplantion) and "wolvogs" (they look like domesticated dogs but act like feral wolves). I imagined his world to be similar to the movie I Am Legend (without the zombies!) - derelict buildings, silence, no electricity, no food. Snowman has to raid houses of those long gone (even though their bodies still remain) to survive.

The book is void of the action and rebellion in the young-adult dystopian books I have read (by then it is too late) but this definitely does not hamper enjoyment of the book. It is told through Snowman's flashbacks from when he was known as Jimmy and the events that slowly lead to his current situation. We find out more about the characters Oryx and Crake and their involvement in the destruction of humanity. Oryx and Crake focuses a lot on how technology and science can be abused, and, although some scenes and events in the book may seem to only be imaginable in a fictional setting, they are not without possibility in our own society.

I love how this novel was written. Even though we already know the result of the catastrophe (it is explained very early on in the book) you are unsure of the causes and how Snowman's present world ended up so different when compared to Jimmy's early flashbacks.

I now am really looking forward to reading The Handmaid's Tale , as I've heard even better comments about that, as well as other non-YA dystopian/post-apocalyptic books!

(Review part of Lenore's Dystopian February!)

edit: I have now read The Handmaid's Tale and I loved that also!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Oryx and Crake.

02/28/2011 page 234
show 1 hidden update…

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

April (The Steadfast Reader) Follow up Oryx and Crake with Year of the Flood - it's not quite a sequel, but tells about the end of the (Oryx and Crake) world from a different perspective.

Everything I've ever read by Atwood is fabulous. And I've read most of her work.

Stacey (prettybooks) Yup Year of the Flood is already on my "to read" list. I'm looking forward to reading her other books. The Handmaid's Tale will probably be next!