Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog)'s Reviews > Envy

Envy by J.R. Ward

Caldwell is the PNR/UF version of Sunnydale (from Buffy, just in case you live under a rock!), all the supernatural shit goes down there! You have a Brotherhood of vampires and now we are battling demons to make sure Hell doesn't come bubbling up. Sounds like a crappy place to live, you are likely to either be killed by the Omega or have your soul destroyed by a demon; however, the payoff may just be worth it, Caldwell also seems to be the centre of the hot-man-universe packed full of gorgeous males so manly they make Arnie shrivel up, so yeah it may be dangerous but my Oestrogen is begging me to pack up and move in.

Anyway to Envy, I really loved it, it seems to have struck a good balance, in Covet there was a lot of romance and in Crave there was a lot of UF, this one seems to have struck the balance between the two. It manages to move the main plot with Jim et al on, with a few really shocking twists, seriously this book needs a Kleenex warning, but it also has a really great romance in it as well.

Veck, if you are up to date on Black Dagger Brotherhood then you will recognize him from Lover Unleashed, if you don't then you need to read it IMMEDIATLEY! I really liked him, he is the typical JR Ward male, tough and protective with a dark edge and she had me lapping him up (ha! If only!) And Sophia Reilly I really liked her as well, I liked that although she was a tough Internal Affairs agent who took no BS, she was also feminine and I loved hearing he pervy thoughts about Veck, I was reading some of those comments thinking "I am sure I have posted something similar to that on Good Reads!" She was my kind of girl!

What I also like about this series is Devina, I love that I hate her, she is a bad guy that you can get properly riled up about, she isn't half assed about being evil she goes all the way and not only that she poses a credible threat. There is nothing more off putting then a bad guy that can be defeated by your 5 year old nephew with a big stick, Devina isn't one of those!

Another great instalment in the series and my favourite so far and I really can't wait to see what happens next, roll on the next book

Brother Spotting

I noticed two!

1. Escalade flying past at the beginning, I was getting the Butch vibes!

2. Throe right at the end doing his Grim Reaper impression

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Envy.

09/07/2011 page 1
0.0% "I cannot WAIT to start this! Love me some naughty angels!"
09/08/2011 page 120
21.0% "I have missed the WARDen's writing!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

~J~ Riverina Romantics I'm starting today too!

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) I know! I am loving it at the moment! How far through are you?

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) Bloody hell you are waaaay ahead of me! I am on chapter 12!!! I love VEck though, damn Fran for getting to him first!

Angela Carr (Under the Covers Book Blog) I know!!! I got Jim!! Woot

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) DMANIT! I want Eddie then! have you got to the famous 3some bit yet?

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) Jim better be getting with Cissy at the end of this series!

~J~ Riverina Romantics Im only at 6% &have to work today :(

Angela Carr (Under the Covers Book Blog) Bummer. Take you time and enjoy it.
Just finished it. dayummm that book, I really love it.

How bout you Suz?

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) I just finished it! And I LOVE IT! There were a few surprises in there though

Angela Carr (Under the Covers Book Blog) Oooh glad you did!

Did you catch Throe's cameo. And if you look at LU. There are a lot of cross overs with Veck, Delacruz and Throe. Specifially ch 53. Annie and I had a blast going back on it last night!! : (view spoiler)

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) Yep I saw that, lol I put a brother spotting thing at the bottom of my review : D I loved that we saw Throe though and what happened with Kroner the dude had it coming!

Regina Suzanne aka The Wench ~Satin Seductress~ wrote: "I just finished it! And I LOVE IT! There were a few surprises in there though"
I am so glad!!! I am going to read your review after I read the book, but glad to hear you loved it.

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) It was good, I couldn't put it down, I went on my break at work, which should only be 10mins, half an hour later I was still reading and thinking shite, better get back to work (so I finished the chapter I was on and then went lol!)

I have no spoilers in the review, just my general impressions so feel free to read : )

Regina Just read it, great review Suzanne. Excited that some brothers are in this one. I agree about Davina -- JR Ward learned her lesson well about writing bad guys (she kinda failed with the lessers).

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) Well they aren't really in it, as much as seen in passing!

I liked Lash he was a good bad guy, but until then the lessers never seemed a threat even though in the first book one of the first things they do is kill Darius!

Angela Carr (Under the Covers Book Blog) Yes. Great review! Stupid, my phone went straight to comments and didn't see your post. Duh!

Regina I agree, Lash was a good bad guy. Thinking back on it, doesn't seem silly that they were able to get Darius and then get Tohr's wife?

~J~ Riverina Romantics Im still only at 33% so not going to read your review just yet

message 24: by Kerstin (new) - added it

Kerstin I really have to start on this series. I have the first two books on my shelf, patiently waiting to be picked up.

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) Pick them up Kiki & Kerstin! Honestly they are really good, and a little different as they are a mix between PNR and UF, but with JRW's special touch : )

It did take X years of planning to get Darius, the thing is though if they did that with every brother they could have won by now, it isn't as if they have a time limit they are immortal. They know a full frontal will never work the lessers need to be sneakier!

Megan Riverina Romantics/Meggerfly Great review girl! Loved the bro sighting alert!