Bale's Reviews > 1 Dead in Attic: Post-Katrina Stories

U 50x66
Jan 24, 2008

bookshelves: pleasure
Read in October, 2006

A compelling and heartbreaking review of life in southern Lousiana in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. This book restored my faith in the art of journalism. Chris Rose deals with pain and triumph in the face of adversity and equally serves those who lived through the tragedy and those who witnessed in only through the news media. As a helicopter pilot tasked with rescuing endangered citizens, putting out fires and bringing supplies to cutoff residents, this book helped bring me closer to the people I served over a one-month period. More than that he helped me realize what good was done, and the unfortunate reality that once the "story" was over, much of the ravaged area was forgotten. The story of survival and the beginning of a rebirth is a must-read for those caught up in the failures of government agencies or the lack of sympathy expressed by people who have never been forced to leave their only possesions in life. The stories of people moving back to restore a city most of whom see only on television or vacations to Bourbon Street will restore your faith in humanity.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 1 Dead in Attic.