Anna's Reviews > Half-Blood

Half-Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Dec 10, 2010

bookshelves: favourite, read-2011, ya, 6-stars, mythology
Read from June 06 to 08, 2011

Review originally published at http://bookstobrightenyourmood.blogsp...

Half-Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout comes to fill the void I felt inside since Vampire Academy series ended...Yes,yes,that's how much I loved it!I didn't just love it exactly,I'm ecstatic about it and all I can think now that I finished it is how long will I have to wait for the sequel to get published (and it's rather long still,that's my problem!).

Jennifer Armentrout delivers a wonderful new YA series that noone should miss reading.The world she created is complicated and unique.Among all those books that have recently flooded the YA genre about or based on Greek mythology,Half-Blood manages to stand out with its intricate world building and with the fact that takes Greek mythology one step further.I loved everything about this world but most of all the Apollyon twist.I've never came across anything like that concept and I was plainly fascinated by it.

The characters are wonderfully developed and with a voice of their own.Alex is witty, strong, independent, stubborn and brave but she's also a caring and sweet character and one can't help but love her.I could totally relate to her,feel her dilemmas and understand the motives that drove her actions.
Aiden,her love interest,is... well,totally swoon worthy to put it mildly!I loved the way their romance developed,it was just the way I like it in the books I read.Not too fast,nor too slow,just the right pace to keep the reader interested and not feel that they declare their love to one another in the blink of an eye.The reader is able to feel their growing feelings and attraction for each other.
And on the other hand,one must also consider Seth,who from all the indications will be the third in the love triangle of the story.And believe me,he's really worth it.I may not loved him nearly as much as I loved Aiden but he has all the potential to become an equally loved character.I'm guessing we'll see more of him in the sequel,and that's another reason I can't wait to read it!

Apart from the main heroes,Jennifer Armentrout managed to create a whole cast of interesting characters,from Lucian, Alex's stepfather with the shady motives, to Caleb, Alex's best friend, each character in this book has a voice of their own and don't just stand in the middle of the story ready to serve whatever the plot needs.
The plot on the other hand is full of twists and action, making it impossible for the reader to put the book down.The action scenes are well written and keep you on the edge of your seat the whole time and the writing style is plainly brilliant!

If one would ask me to choose my favorite scene in this book,that,hands down,would be Aiden calling Alex "agapi mou"!The whole scene was sweet on itself but being Greek and reading a greek word of affection being used so naturally in a book just astonished me!

All in all,Half-Blood is an exciting first book in a series that promises to get even better (if that is possible!) and it has all the potential to become the next favorite series for many readers.I know for sure that it became mine!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Half-Blood.

06/07/2011 page 196
70.0% "Never thought I would read a Greek love word used so naturally in a book!I'm astonished!"

MISS VAIN I'm so happy to hear this since I LOVED Vampire Academy....I've been anxiously counting down the days for this book :)

Anna It's an amazing book,trully!I on the other hand count the days for the next one to get published something that unfortunatelly means too much counting and waiting...
You'll love it!

MISS VAIN Awesome!!! I can't wait, after reading your review I want it now!! ;) I guess I could read the pre-quel Damien. I usually read the pre-quel after I read the first book, however I have noticed it getting high star ratings even before this book has been released. :)

Anna I haven't read Daimon yet,so I don't know myself,but Armentrout really writes wonderfully,so probably those high ratings do her justice!I already marked as to read every single new book she has scheduled for realise!

MISS VAIN You should download it then because I think it was free or $.99 or something. I'm glad to hear she writes so well!:)

Anna I'm really thinking about it!