Melissa Rudder's Reviews > Heart of Darkness and the Congo Diary

Heart of Darkness and the Congo Diary by Joseph Conrad

Apr 19, 12

bookshelves: master-s-exam, teach-it
Read in April, 2012, read count: 7

I didn't enjoy the intricate descriptions, psychological complexities, and social commentary of Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness this time as much as I did on my third read. I tend to blame myself for this, but maybe Heart of Darkness just can't stand up to four reads in eight years.

There's a lot to be said about Heart of Darkness. And there certainly has been a lot said about it. It's worth reading if only to join the discourse in which Chinua Achebe declared Conrad "a thoroughgoing racist." Can Conrad be excused as a product of his racist, Imperialist time? Does his critical portrayal of unsympathetic and inhumane imperialism make up for his narrow-sighted portrayal of Africans? Should schools teach books where Africans are mere bestial shadows? Did Conrad preserve an ironic distance between himself and his narrator that forces a critique of racism and absolves the author of that guilt? Important questions resulting in a worthwhile (and often heated) discussion.

There are images and moments from Heart of Darkness that are very much impressed upon my memory. Kurtz is a remarkably powerful figure. He seems to haunt much of the literary community (in the same way that he haunted Marlow even before they met) even though he, as a character, is present for less than a tenth of the novel. (That was an approximation, so don't quote me on that. But it's a close approximation, I'm sure.) Perhaps looking over that edge with Marlow is all it takes to be forever imprinted with what we saw.

Quotes:

"I don't like work--no man does--but I like what is in the work--the chance to find yourself."

"Droll thing life is--that mysterious arrangement of merciless logic for a futile purpose."

(This is an old review. I've read the novella several more times but lack the desire to edit this review.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heart of Darkness and the Congo Diary.