Wit's Reviews > Savor: Mindful Eating, Mindful Life

Savor by Thich Nhat Hanh

Dec 10, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: currently-reading

I've greatly anticipated this book because at my age healthy and more mindful eating habits have become a lot more important. As a Buddhist the appeal to applying mindfulness to our relationship with food is a strong one. The book is co-authored by one of the greatest Zen masters of our modern age - Vietnamese Buddhist monk Thich Nhat Hahn and nutritionist Dr. Lilian Chung. This books offers a very good complimentary blend of the science of nutrition and the 'science' of Buddhist mindfulness practice. Together this book offers not only valuable information about food and nutrition but very wise common sense advice about eating that seems to slip past most peoples radar when it comes to food.

This book is NOT about Buddhist "fad diet" techniques. To the contrary this is all about proper body and mental maintenance through mindfulness whether you are Buddhist or not. In other words it tells you how to control eating and weight issues but you are the one that has to do the work! My one drawback to this book is that for me personally it takes as much work and discipline to it as to applying it's principles! This book I know will be an "on again/off again" read which I'll have to work at. That's why I've rated it only two stars so far until I can get more engrossed in it. I hope to give it a much higher rating with more diligent reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Savor.