Erika's Reviews > Revolution

Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly

Apr 28, 11

bookshelves: 2011, young-adult, historical-fiction, fiction, contemporary-literature
Read from April 03 to 24, 2011

4.75/5

I never knew what people meant by the term "raw" when describing books until now. This book is unequivocally raw. It's a powerful description of one girl's emotional turmoil, one of history's saddest moments, and the smallest victories of an 18th century girl who learns more lessons about life and politics than one should ever hope to.

On top of the overall plot that dealt with grief in many ways, I learned a lot about music, music history, and of course, the French Revolution. I kind of have this thing for French history for some reason. Any fiction with a dab of it gets my attention and wont let go. Revolution was no exception. At nearly 500 pages, I managed to finish the bulk of it in only 2 days. It was that good.

My only qualms with the story is in the second part called "Purgatory". I enjoyed what was done with this sort of story within a story within a story. I just don't know about the way it was wrapped up. I was expecting one thing to happen at the end and something else did instead and it just didn't make sense to me why.

I haven't read much young adult historical fiction so it wouldn't be right to call this "one of the best". Also, half of it is actually set in the contemporary world, so there's another problem. But I think that this is one of those books in time I will be going back. This book gives me that great feeling that in time, after exploring much more of the genre, I will still want to call it "one of the best".
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Revolution.