~Tina~'s Reviews > Bloodlines

Bloodlines by Richelle Mead

Aug 25, 11

bookshelves: own, bite-me, read-2011, young-adult, re-read-challenge, mead-madness, re-read-2013
Read from August 23 to 25, 2011

The Vampire Academy series is one of my all time favorites so it's needless to say that I couldn't wait to get my hands on the spinoff, Bloodline!!

Richelle Mead has done it again! This book is a fantastic start to a bright new beginning for some of our most beloved characters.
To be honest I didn't fall in love with this book like I did with VA, but I think within time and more character growth I'll be able to appreciate it for what's it's truly worth.

My experience with this book reminds me of the time when I read Clockwork Angels by Cassandra Clare. I'm hopelessly in love with Jace The Mortal Instrument books so when going into The Infernal Devices it was really hard for me since I kept waiting for Jace and the gang to pop out. Now, I know that wasn't gonna happen but it didn't stop me from wanting just that. It felt very strange to go into a familiar world but have different characters telling the story. A wise friend of mine (Arlene) told me to just to step back, let the other characters go and try to read that book for what it is, so I did and she was right, I ended up enjoying it more then I thought I would. Now...going into this book was pretty much the same experience. Even though Dimitri and Rose did make a very small cameo appearance and there were a few familiar faces that I adore, it still felt...different.
Truth? Sydney isn't Rose and my inner fangirl was pouting and taking it out on Sydney which wasn't very fair. So my point? Even though I ended up liking this I still couldn't love it the way I wanted to, or at least, not yet. It has nothing to do with the book mind you, it's just my warped issue I've got going, which I will be seeking help for...

Moving on.

The new plot line was pretty cool, we still get the old Moroi, dhhampir and Strigoi world, but this time we get to experience the flip side, with the Alchemist world.
I thought it was pretty neat to see what it was all about, but I think I understand why Sydney was so cold and frigid in the VA books. She's had a very strict life, totally lacks in social skills and even the matters of the heart. She's been trained her entire life to hate Vampires and while those fears are still at the surface, she isn't as prejudice as some of her other..allies. I liked her as our main protag, but I think I struggled with her a bit since I like my MC with more attitude, spunk, banter, wit and all around badassness. Which Sydney, my dear, is not. But! She's kickass her own unique way as the story went on and I'm looking forward to seeing her loosen up and be the person I know that is dying to come out. Lets hope that Adrian can rub off on her some.
~Jill was okay in this as well, I think I still have to get to know her more to really form an opinion, since really all she did was pout and I actually don't blame her, but I don't really have any feelings for her at this point. Also, her relationship with Lee was to quick and not very believable. I am however really intrigued by her bond with Adrian. That was an unexpected twist.
~As for Adrian? ~sigh~ Poor Adrian. When we left him in VA I knew he'd be a flippin' mess, so I'm not surprised how irresponsible, lazy and shattered he was in this book. But he's still just as charming and irresistible as he ever was. Even more. I love his snark and the way he can zing a smile onto my face every time he uttered a word. As the story progressed we get to see a spark of hope for our favorite guy. He is by far my most favorite thing about this book and even though I'm a Dimka fan through and through, Adrian still owns a piece of my heart. He got a bum-deal in the VA books, so I'm really looking forward to seeing some real growth with his character as the books move on and hope to see that he finally gets his HEA.
~Loved Eddie, always have and I'm glad he's in this. Same goes for Abe. I like the new characters as well. Mrs. Terwilliger and Micah. Keith is a weenie-head. Just saying. Lee and Clarence brought some good entertainment and I have a bit of a theory for Trey...(view spoiler) Muahaha!

Mead writing is always flawless in my eyes, I simply adore the fact that she can can make me stew while reading. I had 20 questions at the ready even before I hit the first 100pgs. She's always known how to keep me on my toes. There is zero romance in this book, which is fine by me since I think it would have ruined it, but we do get to see a beginning of a beautiful friendship and while I'm not entire sure how Mead will pull it off, I think it'll be incredible fun getting there. Loved the ending btw...it's very...dun Dun DUN...of Mead to leave it hanging like that. Not enough for me to be pulling out my hair mind you, but enough to scream- GIMMIE GIMMIE The Golden Lily NOW!!

All in all, I thought Bloodline is a promising start to a new series that I very much plan on continuing. Don't let my rating fool you, I did have a good time with this book. It's entertaining, fun and intriguing and most likely will end up in my favorite shelf after all. Recommended to all fans of the Vampire Academy books, your gonna want to add this gem to your collection! Looking forward to so much more.

EDIT: Re-read and I properly fell in love with this!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bloodlines.

08/23/2011 page 1
0.0% "Swings book around while dancing! wOOOOOOOOt!" 20 comments
08/23/2011 page 160
37.0% "Nothing is happpppening:( I hope this picks up soon..."

Comments (showing 1-29)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

~Tina~ The blurb sounds amazing! So excited for this!

message 28: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic Me too twinie. Wish they would change the cover though!

~Tina~ I know right? ^^ I don't know why but Mead books are so amazing but her covers aren't so purdy:(

message 26: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica Awesome review, Tina! BTW, what i've always wanted to tell you...I love how you’ve got a shelf for vampire books called “bite-me” :)

~Tina~ Thanks Jess! Haha, yeah, I wanted an original name for that shelf since it's my favorite genre;)

Amber Great review Tina! I wouldn't mind the Golden Lily either lol

~Tina~ Thanks Amber! Really looking forward to the next book;)

Amber BTW, cracking up at comments in Lola..priceless!

~Tina~ Yeah, I love how all the other Bookers commented in it. I love knowing what they thought at that precise moment. Very cool;)

Alexa Awesome review Tina! :) Hopefully the next book is better for ya. I'm glad this book made me actually fall for Adrian. I was missing out! lol XD

Alexa Oh and I remember Mead said something about that by the end of Golden Lily it should be obvious about the romance/pairings. ;) And she said that ppl might throw the book across the room because it has a dramatic ending. o.o;;;

~Tina~ Thanks Alexa! I enjoyed this one...I think I just have to get more use to it:)
(view spoiler)

Alexa (view spoiler)

~Tina~ (view spoiler)

message 15: by Alexa (last edited Aug 25, 2011 02:33PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alexa (view spoiler)

~Tina~ (view spoiler)

Arlene Awww! I got a shout! Thank you Tina. :) I'm glad you enjoyed it and I bet this series will get better and better. I'm looking forward to Syndney becoming a badass. :) Perfect review. :)

message 12: by Arlene (last edited Aug 25, 2011 07:27PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Arlene (view spoiler)

~Tina~ Thanks Arlene! I seriously don't know what's wrong with me when it comes to first book spinoff's. It's like I'm DYING to read it but once I do...the feeling goes poof and I feel like pouting:( I got issues...

(view spoiler)

message 10: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Tina, awesome review and I can see where you are headed with Trey, I'm so intrigued :)

~Tina~ Thanks babe! I'm probably wrong about Trey, but something is fishy about him for suure. Very curious;)

message 8: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic Great review twinie! I am a little nervous to start this because like you I am a massive Rose and Dimitri fan and am going to miss them.

~Tina~ Thanks twinie!! Don't worry hun, I think it's just me. I did like Sydney, really. I just need to get use to her. Rose is just a fantastic character and I had a hard time getting into the same world, but a different character telling it. Adrian makes up for it though. He's thee best!!;)

Milly Didn't realize what a Rose-Dimitri fan you are until I saw your rating! I absolutely get what you mean about the first ID by Clare. I actually rated it a 3 after reading CA. But I am such an Adrian fan so I loved this one!

~Tina~ Oh I enjoyed this book, but I just didn't love it the way I love VA...or at least not yet. I ADORE Adrian though and think he's the best thing about these books;)

Taylor Hastings I just started this and I'm a little confused. Do you have to read Vampire Academy to fully understand what's going on?

~Tina~ You don't have-to-have-to, but yeah, to fully understand who these characters are I think you should read the VA series first since they are all featured there first. It's six books, but so worth it!:)

Taylor Hastings Gotcha. I have a hard time keeping all of the vampires staight. I know theres good vamps, bad ones, and half vampires right? But I don't know which name match which vampires :P

~Tina~ I know what you mean. It's confusing at first, but you pick it up as you go:-)