Claire's Reviews > Looking for Alaska

Looking for Alaska by John Green

Dec 26, 10

bookshelves: made-me-teary, mystery, contempary-fiction, young-adult
Read from December 25 to 26, 2010

I'm pretty sure I'd give this books five stars if I hadn't read Paper Towns first. I sort of wish I did read this book first- it had a different, darker tone that made me really sad and rethink everything. Basically, it just showcased (the then debut author) John Green's talent of tackling large issues and his witty, deep and relentlessly amusing prose. The book was profound, funny, strange and philosophical at the same time and I really did enjoy and love this book. I admired that John Green can always create characters are solid, damaged and real. Characters you care about immensely and intrigue you endlessly. The storyline is structured in a way that keeps you on the edge of your toes - a countdown to an event that you should see coming early on, and the heavily emotional aftermath that follows. I guess the only thing that sort of bugged me was that the characters and the main epiphany that occurred in the story were very similar those in Paper Towns. But despite that fact, this book is simply amazing, depressing and beautiful and had one of the most thought provoking endings I've read in a while. Definitely recommend it to everyone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Looking for Alaska.

12/25/2010 page 12
4.0% "YES I FINALLY HAVE IT MY HANDS. I have never been more excited about a book in my life ! It's classic John Green so far :)"