Ulyana's Reviews > Feeding the Hungry Heart: The Experience of Compulsive Eating

Feeding the Hungry Heart by Geneen Roth

Dec 09, 10

Read in December, 2010

First of all, PHEW! I am so glad that I am not, never have been, and hopefully will never be in the shoes of the women who contributed their stories to this book. Some stories are simply heart-wrenching and brought tears to my eyes. However, like so many women, I have suffered from body image issues and have used food to console myself, so this book did speak to me in some ways. In particular, this book is a good reminder to always accept your body the way it is, learn to distinguish real hunger from emotional hunger, to always be present and aware, and to remember to nurture yourself emotionally and physically. I will definitely check-out other books by this author. The reason I gave three stars to this book is because it is essentially a collection of short stories from many different women, who participated in the author's compulsive eating workshops, making it a hodge podge of personal stories, different writing styles, and so on. However, I definitely enjoyed the bits of wisdom from Geneen Roth herself (and her writing).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Feeding the Hungry Heart.