Whitelady3's Reviews > Love and War

Love and War by John Jakes

Aug 07, 12

bookshelves: dnf, not-own, 2008

I tried, really! I tried reading it, picking it up again, I tried to get myself to read one more page, a line, one more word, but I couldn't do it. I've given up on the book around page 300, which was already an achievement, in my opinion.

The first book was quite interesting, it presented us to the characters, introduced us to the Civil War, and I was curious as I know little about it, but the way the author does it on this book was a turn off, so to speak. I understand the desire for the author to deal with the politics behind the Civil War, letting us know that, although fighting for one of the sides, not everyone was fighting for the same ideal. However he does it in a very dull way, with a few or no action at all. Maybe it's me, since I'm used to Cornwell and George R.R. Martin taking me, as a reader, to the middle of the battle. But in this book that doesn't happen. The only battle I came across had a bunch of people running from it; from the battle itself almost nothing.

Besides it has so many characters still underdeveloped, not getting me interested on what expected them. Couldn't relate or worry enough to read more about them; and you should worry since it's a book 2 out of 3. I hoped to see more depth to them and a more dynamic attitude. George Hazard for example, seems to spend the book pacing around thinking and thinking over again but doing little about what worried him.

You seem to read and read and nothing happens. It's frustrating. I've given up on it, I prefer the television series.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love and War.

10/28/2008 page 291
26.77% "A very dull book so far and it doesn't seem to get better."

Josette Wood The book is slow until around half way through, I was bored with a lot of it but then it speeds up and becomes a lot more interesting