thewanderingjew's Reviews > I Remember Nothing: and Other Reflections

I Remember Nothing by Nora Ephron

Jun 27, 12

Read from December 09 to 17, 2010

Absent her obvious political bias (which I had absolutely no interest in reading and quite honestly, I resented being subjected to it), her book is a delightful read. If you have a few spare hours, that is all it will take to give yourself some pleasure reading her little anecdotal tidbits. You will certainly have a chuckle or two as you identify with her senior moments, especially if you are in the Social Security or Medicare generation. Even if you are younger, you will laugh out loud when you read a passage that reminds you of someone else, perhaps your mother or your aunt or your grandmother. It is not particular to females though. Her assessments are right on the mark. The road is rising up to meet us, so we had better enjoy the journey!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Remember Nothing.

Janet So what if she has a political bias. Isn't that the point of personal essays? To bring your life story and opinions to the page?

thewanderingjew Her book was really about the aging process, if I remember it correctly, not the political process. She was a gifted writer, and I read her books for their humor and light touch. When I want to read about politics, I prefer more scholarly approaches.
My own personal opinion is that " entertainers" of all stripes should stick to entertaining and that is what I meant to express.
It is odd that most people dislike discussing politics, yet they like when people, other than political scientists, voice their opinion, which has an effect on every reader, often passing on incorrect conclusions, in the same way that historic fiction does. Some people attain all their "facts" from those with a bully pulpit who have little, or no, real knowledge about the statements they are making. They need to be more responsible because some people take their "opinions" as statements of fact.
Anyway, that is my personal "opinion".

Most people dislike discussing politics, yet they like when people, other than political scientists, voice their opinion, which has an effect on every reader, often passing on incorrect conclusions, in the same way that historic fiction does. Some people attain all their "facts" from those with a bully pulpit who have little, or no, real knowledge about the statements they are making. They need to be more responsible because some people take their "opinions" as statements of fact.

Anyway, that is my personal "opinion". Thank you for your comment.