Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)'s Reviews > Bloodlines

Bloodlines by Richelle Mead

Aug 30, 11

bookshelves: author-richelle-mead, books-i-go-rabid-over, first-book-in-series, vampires, young-adult, my-hottie-harem, favorites
Recommended for: Vampire Academy fans
Read from August 23 to 24, 2011 — I own a copy

Sydney Sage makes her debut with the new Richelle Mead series, Bloodlines. Ever since Blood Promise, I was intrigued by the Alchemists and Sydney but it wasn’t until Last Sacrifice that I really wondered what was behind Sydney Sage.

Bloodlines is still set in the Vampire Academy world, but now we’re following the Alchemist, Sydney. Our girl has a lot of work cut out for her. Her task is to protect Jill, the princess and sister of the queen, Vasilisa Dragomir with the help of the Moroi and dhampirs. To keep Jill safe, Sydney, Jill and Eddie enroll in a human boarding school in Palm Springs and play the part of siblings. Along with some high school politics, there are more serious problems that Sydney encounters.

While this book still has the core elements of the Vampire Academy world, such as the Moroi, Strigoi, and dhampirs races, what really set this book apart from other series is the fact that Mead plays up the chemistry aspect of the Alchemists. I loved the tattoo storyline. It was right up Sydney’s alley. It was perfect for her.

In this book, we do find out what went on behind the scenes when Sydney made a deal with Abe, making her in his debt that resulted in her helping Rose out in the Vampire Academy books. And let me just say, it wasn’t what I was expecting....

This is always the case whenever I read a Richelle Mead book! I always have my own expectations about certain plot lines and characters, but Mead always seems to be able to surprise me in the best of ways.

With Sydney as the new narrator of the series, I found that I liked her controlled nature. She’s a far cry from the impulsive girl that was Rose Hathaway, but I thought the change was refreshing. From the get-go, Mead goes straight into Sage’s backstory, showing how the young Alchemist was brought up. Under the scrutiny of her father and Alchemist’s eye, Sydney must also put her best foot forward as she tries to live up to their expectations of her. At first, I saw Sydney has someone who allowed others to walk all over her, but I was wrong.

There are countless times when she stands up for herself in this book and I was surprised to see this, but also glad. One thing I didn’t realize about her was the fact that Sydney has more control than anyone else in this series. While Rose would have yelled and punch someone if they insulted her, Sydney would rather bite her tongue. It takes a whole lot of control to do something like that and I respect her a lot. I’m definitely looking forward in following the series through her eyes.

One of the characters I was most excited to read about was Adrian. After what happened in Last Sacrifice, I was hoping that Adrian would get his HEA. And while he hasn’t found that yet, I’m sure that Mead has it in the works. There’s already sparks flying and I can’t wait to see more of it. Not to mention that Adrian also has some of the best lines in book!

Then there’s Eddie Castile whom I just adore. I wished there was more of him! I know, I’m selfish. But Eddie’s the man and he just needs his own chance to shine. I love the romantic story Mead has made for him. He’s such an honourable guy! He deserves the best!

Jill has been having a bit of a rollercoaster ride. So many things happen to her that I wonder how the poor girl can deal with it all. One big shocker is revealed about her and another important character in this series so I am so excited to see how that works out!

While I thought the beginning of the book was a little slow, the book does increase in pace, especially towards the end. Mead loves hitting you with all she’s got at the end of her books, revealing secrets that will blow your mind. But it’s the very last sentence of this book that made me groan out loud and say, “OH COME ON, MEAD!” Needless to say, I’m ready for The Golden Lily.

Read combined review with Francesca here on UTC

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bloodlines.

08/23/2011 page 48
11.0% "I'm digging Sydney and Adrian's first appearance cracks me up!" 3 comments
08/23/2011 page 104
24.0% "I love seeing familiar characters! Makes me love them even more!"
08/23/2011 page 170
39.0% "I'm liking this tattooing business."

Comments (showing 1-20)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Jessica B Great review! I'm reading it now but only about 50 pages in. I'm glad to hear the pace picks up and I'm looking forward to some familiar faces!

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Thanks Jessica. Let me know when you're finished it so we can talk about it.

You see more familiar faces then I initially thought we'd see. But I still miss a few characters.

♥ Sarah ♥ Awesome review Annie. I'm glad to hear this one was good even without Rose as the narrator. I shall miss being in her head, but it sounds like Sydney really steps up to the plate in this one. Can't wait to read it! :)

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Thanks Sarah. She's different than Rose. I absolutely love Rose, but Sydney is growing on me. I like her Alchemist background, even if I'm more like a Rose character. Hope you like it :D

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

OMG the way it ended!!!!!!

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) I KNOW!!! I wanted moree Damn it!

Lady Heather Excellent review Annie! My daughter is a huge fan and has been trying to get me to read the Vampire Academy Series..forever! I think I'll give it a go and recommend this series to her as well.

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Thank you, Heather. This is basically a continuation of the Vampire Academy series. I hope you'll take her advice and read it. It's one of my faves! Hope you like em!

Lady Heather thanks love :)

Merita Heather i totally agree with Annie, i would recommend Vampire Academy to everybody. It really is one of the best YA reads and once you read VA you'll only want more which will lead you to Bloodlines :)

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Yay! Merita and I are pimping VA! lol It really is the best one out there :)

Merita Annie *Leather Lust* wrote: "Yay! Merita and I are pimping VA! lol It really is the best one out there :)"

HAHAHA "pimping" lmao love it :)

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Pimping in worth it. It's a damn good series.

Merita TOTALLY agree!!!

Mersina Stark is a Bookwhoreasaurus Love the review!!

And I hate that I have to wait so long for the next installment!

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Thank you!

Yes, me too. It totally sucks. Have you read Adrian's Lost Chapter (Bloodlines, #0.5) by Richelle Mead? It's a chapter from Adrian's POV that was supposed to be part of Bloodlines. But was taken out before she decided to make Sydney the narrator.

Mersina Stark is a Bookwhoreasaurus Ohhh noo!! Need to get on that right away!!

Where can I find it??

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Click on that cover above and in the URL there's a link. It will send you to the EW page and you can read it from there. It's pretty short. You can finish it in just a few mins.

Mersina Stark is a Bookwhoreasaurus hmmmmm might just do that right now while i have my coffee brake :)

Thanks!