Julie Levenhagen's Reviews > Conversations With the Fat Girl

Conversations With the Fat Girl by Liza Palmer

Dec 26, 10

bookshelves: 2010, chick-lit
Read in December, 2010

Let me start by saying that I really liked this book- I whipped through it in one evening. There were a lot of laugh-out-loud moments in this sweet, funny book, as well as some teary moments. I like Maggie, her family, and Dominic, her love interest. Were this a series, I would already be reading the next one on my Kindle.
That being said, I felt there was something lacking as I read the book. I can't quite put my finger on it- but I think it has something to do with the first-person narration (usually my favorite type of narration). In this case, Maggie's self-image is so seemingly skewed that I couldn't really trust her narration- she thinks so little of herself, and constantly bemoans her weight, yet has an apparently cute guy obviously crushing on her, and accolades from past professors on her art restoration talents (not to mention a freakin' Masters). Not that those things invalidated her thoughts and emotions, but nonetheless, it left me feeling off balance. And, at the risk of sounding shallow, I wouldn't have minded a number, be it weight or dress size, just to get an idea of how "big" Maggie is, particularly given how many times the antagonists' size 2 figures were emphasized.
My two cents!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Conversations With the Fat Girl.