Lasairfiona Smith's Reviews > The Time Traveler's Wife

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

Jan 28, 08

bookshelves: havereadin2008, tobuy
Recommended for: Everyone who loves good literature
Read in January, 2008

Wow. This is amazing. The author took one of the most basic ideas in sci fi and turned it into very compelling literature. The love story that this book follows is so engaging and the characters very real (and the writing is superb which was a balm to my book loving soul after the last, horrible awful book I read). Basically, the time traveler, Henry, sometimes leaves his time and goes to another time. He shows up naked and has to figure out how to survive for however long he is there. He will disappear if he is stressed out too. His wife, Clare, meets him when she is six and gets to hang out with him from time to time as he shows up there fairly often (at various ages no less). The book follows how they deal with it.

It doesn't attempt to explain the time jumping other than that it exists. It isn't the point of the story, it is the enabler of the story.

The times aren't difficult to keep track of. The story is told mostly linearly even if Henry jumps around in it. I was expecting to have to remember a lot of dates since I thought the story would be told from his perspective. However, the author sticks to an easier convention of following the person most affected and, I would argue, the actual main character of the story: Clare.

Since I borrowed this from the library, I need to create a new shelf: to buy.
Likeflag