Dave's Reviews > Highway 61

Highway 61 by William McKeen

Jan 24, 11

Read from December 09, 2010 to January 01, 2011

Journalism/English (I forgot) professor William McKeen turns excursionist in a road trip he takes with his college-aged son. It centers around their mutual love for music, more specifically blues, and Bob Dylan's poetic wax. The idea was to start in Thunder Bay, Ontario and end in New Orleans traversing the entire length of Highway 61, made famous in song by Dylan himself. Along the way they pass through Hibbing, Minnesota, boyhood home of Bob Dylan, several Mississippi River towns and a barrage of old-school Southern burgs, commenting on the continuing existence of racial disparity in income, music taste, and habitat. The story is made more charming via father-son bonding and the assumption that they get to know each other a little better along the way. McKeen doesn't see his son as often as he likes ever since his divorce from the mother. At times it seems as if he tries to be too "hipster" with his stories and his lingo and name-dropping, but the truth is, he loves his son, and I can only imagine there's nothing better than passing a passion down to one's own children. In thirty years or so, I hope to have created memories akin to this one with my own son.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Highway 61.