Liz's Reviews > How to Talk to a Widower

How to Talk to a Widower by Jonathan Tropper

Dec 09, 10

Read in December, 2010

Jonathan Tropper never disappoints, but some of his books are definitely better than others. Perhaps I read this a little too hot on the heels of Everything Changes, as I had moments when I felt as if I was reliving the same scene with just a change of characters. There is a distinct formula to his novels -- the larger than life dysfunctional family who, beneath the veneer of insults and scream-outs, actually love each other deeply; the close to being overplayed fist fights involving family members who are either on the same side or square off against each other. Throw in a lot of alcohol, a few drugs and some deep emotional distress, and you have a Jonathan Tropper novel.

Yet he writes so well and is the master of quick, comic observation. You can't help but relate to his characters, so humanly flawed are they. I think the secret to really getting the most enjoyment from Jonathan Tropper novels is to space them out. It's like eating chocolate -- too much at one time leaves you sated and ready to go on diet, but space it out and you can savour every rich, dark, creamy square. But back to the novel - not his best, but still worth reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Talk to a Widower.