Lydia's Reviews > Before Midnight: A Retelling of "Cinderella"

Before Midnight by Cameron Dokey

Dec 09, 10

bookshelves: fairytale-retellings
Recommended for: Ages 13+
Read in December, 2010

First of all let me say that I love Cinderella retellings. Whenever another movie with a cinderella plotline comes out I'm like "Oh boy, I can't wait to see it!" While certain people in my family simple groan "Not ANOTHER Cinderella story...". If you empathize with my family then you probably don't want to read this book however original I am about to say it is.

When I first started the book I didn't like the whole wishes and magic thing (which I usually try to avoid. However, as the book got going some of that diminished. It takes a long time for the story to progress. In that way in kind of reminded me of classic books from the early 1900s or before. Everything happened slowly and there was a focus on domestic happenings over big romantic or suspenseful events. I found myself pleasantly surprised several times. While the book follows the general storyline of Cinderella there were several times where what I had predicted to happen did not happen at all. Dokey put several new twists on the classic storyline that I really enjoyed. I thought the side characters were interesting and somewhat multi-dimensional. Cendrillon was a very loving and selfless character which I found rather refreshing.

Obviously love was a big topic of conversation in this book, but I was glad that it also emphasized the power of the familial and friendly kind.

Language - at least one strong curse word

Violence - even though a war is going on there was very little violence actually portrayed in the book

Sexuality - some kissing

This book is not my favorite. However, overall I did enjoy it quite a bit.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Before Midnight.