Tori's Reviews > Troy

Troy by Adèle Geras

Dec 29, 10

Read from December 22 to 28, 2010

I am not marking this for spoilers for parts of the Trojan War stories; and I didn't care about the characters she made up, so I won't bother telling their stories.

I really wanted to like this. I expected to like this. I have a thing about the Trojan War, I have a bit of a crush on Hector, and I adored the idea of the Trojan War from the view of the Girls.

It was jumpy, like a movie or a TV show, switching between its characters too much. I also wanted Andromache's story, or Helen's, or Cassandra's. (Someone should write Andromache's. I have read both Cassandra and Helen); I don't care about made up servant girls. It was like Rome; I didn't care about the made up soldiers, thank you very much, I could have done with more Octavia and Atia, or more Gaius and Octavius. So jumpy, so much switching about between characters...she killed Hector and I didn't care, because he was pretty muc not a character to begin with. ((sigh))

But, I found, in the end that I did care about poor Astyanax. Poor boy. But maybe it just reminded me of Euripides; Homer steered so clear of the end of the war, and Aeneas was All Heroic in his escape with the people he could get out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Troy.

12/22/2010 page 80
21.0% "Commit. Pick a character. Make a decision about what you think about a character."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth I'm sorry you didn't like it, but this confirms two things: 1) that our reading taste is pretty much the same, and 2) my reason for not finishing it was that I couldn't STAND all the p.o.v. jumps.

Tori I do trust your recommendations on books more than I do with just about anyone.

I think without the POV jumps it would have been much better. I would kind of like to read it without the POV jumps.

(I am not reading Ithaka.)