Kereesa's Reviews > Vixen

Vixen by Jillian Larkin

Jan 04, 11

bookshelves: arcs, young-adult, 2010-september-to-december, historical, friendship, teenage-romance, whiny-heroes-that-piss-me-off, it-s-a-dress-it-must-be-ya, we-are-never-getting-back-together
Recommended for: Fans of the Luxe, Gossip Girl
Read from December 22 to 25, 2010, read count: 1

A big thank you to the publishers for the ARC.
Reading Vixen reminded me a lot of the Luxe. Both use features of their individual eras to highlight the general plot and both surround the lives of girls within these time frames who scheme and plan and all that fun stuff. I wasn't a big fan of Luxe (hence why I never read the rest of the series) but Vixen surprised me in that I actually enjoyed parts of it. I wouldn't put it on my top 10 but I didn't die of boredom...that much.
In terms of characters, Larkin seems to be able to create interesting enough people. Clara, surprisingly because I expected the opposite, was easily my favorite out of the main ones. She expressed vulnerability and strength as well as a bit of bad-ass personality that made me like her. Especially in comparison to the other two main characters: Gloria and Lorraine. Gloria annoyed me. Really, really annoyed me. I couldn't put my finger on why but everytime it was from her point of view I put the book down. She just seemed really dumb and didn't have much going for her that made me want to know more about her. Lorraine I liked slightly? more than pretty Glo but her personality seemed a little too self-centered and again really really really dumb. If she had a bit more sauciness and was more of a vindictive villain I would have probably liked her more but her whiny attitude just irked me. The other characters I enjoyed for the most part but none of them, obviously, made any real impact in my mind. I also felt the book was lacking in actual realism in terms of the relationships and 'love' the characters had. I felt Larkin could have used more time to expand these relationships instead of pushing the characters in them.
As for plot, it really isn't something I haven't seen before. Girls go out, get in trouble, go out again. Relationships emerge, pointless schemes and of course big revelations and betrayals. I wasn't surprised by any of the twists in this one so overall the plot in this one didn't get much points from me.
Surprisingly Larkin's writing style was the best part of the book for me. Yes, she uses cliches. But she writes clearly and kept me interested, even when I wanted to rip Gloria's head off which was most of the time. There's definite room for improvement in terms of character development and plot but considering this is the first in a series there's a good foundation for what's to come. Fans of the Luxe and other girl/scheming books such as Gossip Girl will enjoy this one for sure. 3/5.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vixen.

12/24/2010 page 303