Saoirse Sterling's Reviews > Guards! Guards!

Guards! Guards! by Terry Pratchett

Apr 09, 13

bookshelves: own, discworld, humour, intensely-satisfying, 2013
Read from December 27, 2010 to April 09, 2013

I read this one out of order, which was a terrible thing to do, but how can you resist reading anything Pratchett when you own it, even if it's out of order?

A lot of things were obviously explained to me from books written after this one that I had read first (obviously obvious), and what a gloriously funny read! Pratchett at his best with added dragons as a bonus. Once again Vetinari and Vimes shine out as solidly good characters for me, and the relationship between them is one of the best I've encountered in any books.

Also a good starting point if you're not interested in reading them in chronological order.

(Second read through (chronologically!) and I totally forgot I wrote a review. Huh. I stand by it second time round, only I want to add that Carrot is an epic dwarf.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Guards! Guards!.

12/27/2010 page 100

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Guy (new) - added it

Guy Portman Guards! Guards! sounds like a great book Saoirse's. I just got it from Amazon but stupidly managed to get the play version by accident. Will probably re-order it. I am yet to read any Pratchett. Do you think this is his best book?

Saoirse Sterling Guy wrote: "Guards! Guards! sounds like a great book Saoirse. I just got it from Amazon but stupidly managed to get the play version by accident. Will probably re-order it. I am yet to read any Pratchett...."

He has a lot of good books, and some GREAT books, I'd say it is up there! It's probably best to read them in order if you're thinking of reading all of the Discworld, but this a very good place to start. This book also has Vimes and Vetinari, probably two of the best characters in my opinion.

'Snuff', his latest release (he has a new one coming out soon) is also very well written and features Vimes (I'm slightly biased towards Vimes) and 'Unseen Academicals' which features the Wizards of Unseen University. And you may also enjoy 'Monstrous Regiment' as well :)

message 3: by Guy (new) - added it

Guy Portman Thanks for the info. I will start with Guards! Guards! and take it from there.

Saoirse Sterling Guy wrote: "Thanks for the info. I will start with Guards! Guards! and take it from there."

Great =D I hope you enjoy them. I read Pratchett once before when I was much younger and actually hated it. Then a few years ago a friend re-introduced me and I can't believe that I could have hated such a literate and beautiful series of novels. It takes something special to write humour into literature.