Sherri's Reviews > Wild Child and Other Stories

1959413
Jan 05, 11

bookshelves: audio, short-stories
Read from December 09 to 18, 2010

I really liked the audio version-- read by T.C. Boyle himself. Short fiction is the way to go for me with audio because it is broken up into parts so that you don't burnt out on a long novel. The novella Wild Child was one of my favorites in this collection. It makes me want to read or listen to more historical fiction by Boyle. Maybe I'll try The Women or the soon to be released When the Killings Done.

The first story, "Balto" seems like a perfect Junior Honors English research story (young teen narrator, need for independence, questions about loyalty to parent, references to the canine American 1920s hero- Balto. Also references Faulkner- most likely to remind us of the story "Barn Burning." Lots to think about!)

Another Junior possibility is "Question 62"- about two sisters in different parts of the country who wrestle with the conflict between animals rights and hunting - and it's reminder about how we Americans in various parts of the country define our rights and come up with "propositions"

Loved "La Conchita" about an arrogant organ-delivery-guy caught in a mudslide.

Just finished "Sin Dolor"- shocking scenes about a kid who feels no physical pain and the conflict between his Dr. and his father.

My first Overdrive download from the EPL- hope I can finish it before it is due

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wild Child and Other Stories.